Will a Dog Die? Chocolate and Canines.

A lot of people love their dogs and are very concerned about their health. If you are a dog owner, you may have heard about the dangers of feeding chocolate to your furry friend. In this article, we will take a deep dive into the topic of how dangerous chocolate can be for dogs and what you can do if your dog ingests chocolate.

What makes chocolate toxic to dogs?

Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine, which is similar to caffeine. Humans can easily metabolize theobromine, but dogs process it much more slowly, making it toxic to them. Ingesting chocolate can cause various symptoms ranging from mild to severe, and in extreme cases, it can even be fatal.

What type of chocolate is most dangerous for dogs?

Dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate contain the highest amount of theobromine, making them the most dangerous types of chocolate for dogs. Milk chocolate and white chocolate have the least amount of theobromine, but they can still be harmful if consumed in large amounts.

What are the symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs?

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs can vary based on the amount of chocolate ingested and the size of the dog. The most common symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, restlessness, hyperactivity, rapid breathing, muscle tremors, and seizures.

What to do if your dog ingests chocolate?

If you suspect your dog has ingested chocolate or has any symptoms of chocolate poisoning, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately. Your vet may induce vomiting or perform other treatments to get the chocolate out of your dog’s system. In severe cases, hospitalization may be necessary.

How can you prevent your dog from eating chocolate?

The best way to prevent your dog from eating chocolate is to keep it out of their reach. Make sure to store it in a secure place, and don’t give chocolate as a treat to your dog. Instead, offer them dog-friendly treats that are specifically designed for their consumption.

What should you do if your dog accidentally eats chocolate?

If your dog accidentally eats chocolate, try to determine how much and what type of chocolate they have consumed, and call your vet immediately. Depending on the amount of chocolate ingested and the symptoms, your vet may recommend observation or treatment.


Chocolate can be very dangerous and even deadly for dogs. As responsible pet owners, it is our duty to keep chocolate and other harmful substances out of our dogs’ reach. If your dog accidentally ingests chocolate, act fast and seek veterinary care immediately. By being vigilant and careful, we can ensure our furry friends stay safe and healthy.


  • Q: Can a small amount of chocolate kill a dog?
  • A: It depends on the size of the dog and the type of chocolate. While it is unlikely that a small amount of milk chocolate will kill a large dog, a small amount of dark chocolate or unsweetened baking chocolate can be fatal even to smaller dogs.
  • Q: How long does it take for the symptoms of chocolate poisoning to appear in dogs?
  • A: The symptoms of chocolate poisoning can appear within a few hours of ingestion or even several days after ingestion.
  • Q: Can dogs develop a tolerance for chocolate?
  • A: No, dogs cannot develop a tolerance to chocolate. Every time they consume chocolate, it can be toxic to them.


  1. Villalobos, A. E. 2007. Blackwell’s Five-Minute Veterinary Consult: Canine and Feline. John Wiley & Sons.
  2. Raisbeck, M. F. 2019. Toxin exposures in dogs and cats. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice, 49(2), 191-216.
  3. Kenney, D. G., & Lee, J. A. 2009. Chocolate poisoning in dogs and cats. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 235(3), 293-297.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *