Barley is one of the most versatile grains out there, and it’s used in a wide variety of dishes. You can use barley in traditional soups and stews, as well as in salads, bread, and even beer. But where can you buy barley? In this article, we’ll explore your local and online options for buying barley.
One of the best places to buy barley is at your local farmers market. Farmers markets offer a wide variety of fresh produce, including grains like barley. Not only will you be supporting local farmers, but you’ll also get the freshest barley available.
Most grocery stores carry barley in the bulk foods section or in the baking aisle. Look for hulled barley, which is the most nutritious type. You can also find barley flour in some grocery stores, which can be used in a variety of recipes.
Co-ops are community-owned grocery stores that focus on providing high-quality, natural foods. Many co-ops carry a variety of grains, including barley. You can find co-ops in most major cities.
Bulk Food Stores
Bulk food stores are a great place to buy barley in bulk. Look for hulled barley, which is the most nutritious type. You can often save money by buying in bulk, and you’ll always have plenty of barley on hand for your favorite recipes.
Amazon carries a wide variety of barley, including hulled barley, pearled barley, and barley flakes. You can also find barley flour on Amazon. With Amazon Prime, you can get free shipping on many barley products.
Thrive Market is an online, membership-based retailer that specializes in natural and organic products. They carry a variety of barley products, including hulled barley and barley flakes.
Bob’s Red Mill
Bob’s Red Mill is a well-known brand that specializes in whole grains and natural products. They carry a variety of barley products, including hulled barley, pearled barley, and barley flakes. You can find Bob’s Red Mill products at most natural food stores, as well as online.
Nuts.com is an online retailer that specializes in nuts, seeds, and grains. They carry a variety of barley products, including hulled barley, pearled barley, and barley flour.
How to Choose the Best Barley
When buying barley, you want to look for high-quality, fresh barley that is free from any contaminants. Here are some tips to help you choose the best barley:
- Look for hulled barley, which is the most nutritious type.
- Choose barley that is plump and evenly colored.
- Avoid barley that has a musty or stale smell.
- Check the package for any signs of damage or contamination.
How to Cook Barley
Barley is easy to cook and can be used in a variety of dishes. Here’s how to cook barley:
- Rinse the barley in a fine mesh strainer.
- In a pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Add 1 cup of barley to the pot and stir.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid.
- Simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the barley is tender.
Whether you’re looking to buy barley in person or online, there are plenty of options available. Look for high-quality, fresh barley that is free from any contaminants. And don’t be afraid to try new recipes and experiment with different types of barley.
- Can I buy barley at my local grocery store?
- What is the best type of barley to buy?
- Can I buy barley in bulk?
- Is barley gluten-free?
- How do I store barley?
- Yes, most grocery stores carry barley in the bulk foods section or in the baking aisle.
- Hulled barley is the most nutritious type.
- Yes, you can buy barley in bulk at bulk food stores.
- No, barley contains gluten.
- Store barley in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.