A good skincare routine requires effort and proper actions. While cleansing your face is essential, it’s equally important to moisturize it. Moisturizers are used to making your skin soft, hydrated and glowing. However, knowing when and how to use moisturizer is critical to achieving good results.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at some must-know tips on when to use moisturizer for flawless skin.
What is moisturizer?
Moisturizers are a blend of water, oil and various other vital ingredients that help in nourishing the skin by keeping the moisture intact. In addition, it also protects the skin from outside environmental factors that may harm it. In short, using a moisturizer is a must-do step in any skincare routine.
How Does Moisturizer Work?
As we all know, our body has pores through which sweat comes out. Moisturizers work by creating a barrier between your skin and the environment, which helps to keep moisture in your skin. It hydrates your skin and also nourishes it with important minerals and vitamins. The skin needs moisture to keep it soft and smooth, and using a moisturizer will provide it with the necessary hydration.
When to use moisturizer?
Moisturizing is an essential step in a skincare routine, but when and how to use moisturizer is essential to achieve the necessary benefits. Here are some tips on when to use moisturizer:
After Washing Your Face
After cleaning your face, your skin may feel a bit dry, and you can lose the moisture. Applying a moisturizer after cleansing helps to restore the skin’s moisture barrier, keeping it soft and hydrated. So always make sure to apply a moisturizer after cleansing to nourish and protect your skin.
Before Going to Bed
Applying moisturizer before going to bed helps in skin rejuvenation during the night. During sleep, your skin is repairing and recovering, and applying a moisturizer provides it with the necessary hydration, which helps the process.
Before Makeup Application
Applying moisturizer before makeup helps in creating the perfect base for other products. It also keeps your skin hydrated and makes the makeup stay longer without clogging the pores.
After Swimming or Exercising
After swimming or working out, you should use a moisturizer to retain the moisture lost during these activities. Chlorine in swimming pools or excessive sweating can cause dehydration and dryness, and applying a moisturizer helps to maintain your skin’s balance.
Types of Moisturizers
There are various types of moisturizers available in the market, such as creams, lotions, gels, and serums:
Creams are thicker in texture, and they are used for dry or normal skin types. They are oil-based and provide intense hydration.
Lotions are lighter in texture and are used for oily or combination skin types. They are water-based and provide hydration without making the skin greasy.
Gels are the lightest among all and are suitable for oily or acne-prone skin types. They are water-based and provide hydration without making the skin greasy.
Serums are more concentrated and are used for specific skin problems. They are suitable for all skin types and provide extra hydration and nourishment.
How to Apply Moisturizer?
Applying moisturizer in the correct way will help in achieving better results. Follow the steps below to apply moisturizer:
- Take a dime-sized amount of moisturizer and warm it in your hands for a few seconds.
- Apply it gently on your face and neck making circles in an upward motion.
- Don’t rub the moisturizer harshly, as it can harm your skin.
- Let it absorb into your skin and don’t rinse it off.
Benefits of Moisturizing
Moisturizing is an essential step in achieving healthy and beautiful skin. Here are some of the benefits of using a moisturizer:
- It helps prevent problems associated with dry skin, such as itching, flakiness, and redness.
- It aids in skin cell growth, improving the skins’ elasticity and texture.
- It hydrates the skin, helping to prevent wrinkles and fine lines.
- It acts as a barrier between your skin and environmental factors like UV rays, air pollution, and wind.
- It soothes skin irritation by providing immediate relief and a cooling effect on the skin.
Moisturizing is an elementary step in any skincare routine. It’s crucial to know when and how to use moisturizer to achieve good results. Using moisturizer correctly will provide your skin with hydration, nourishment, and keep it looking healthy and youthful.
- Q. Should I use a moisturizer if my skin is oily?
- A. Yes, you should use a moisturizer, even if your skin is oily. Look for a moisturizer that is light and oil-free.
- Q. Can using different types of moisturizer affect my skin?
- A. Yes, using different types of moisturizer can affect your skin. Choose the right type of moisturizer that suits your skin type.
- Q. Can I use a moisturizer on sensitive skin?
- A. Yes, but make sure to choose a moisturizer that is free from harsh chemicals and fragrances.
- Q. Can I apply moisturizer to dry or wet skin?
- A. It is recommended to apply moisturizer to a slightly damp face to help seal in the moisture.
- “Moisturizers: Options for softer skin.” Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dry-skin/in-depth/moisturizers/art-20044232
- “Why and How to Moisturize Your Face.” Cleveland Clinic. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/why-and-how-to-moisturize-your-face/
- “How to Apply Moisturizer.” Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/how-to-apply-moisturizer