Eyelash extensions are becoming increasingly popular day by day, it’s a revolutionary way for individuals to change their appearances by giving their lashes a fuller and thicker look. Most people depend on eye creams and mascara to improve the lashes’ length and thickness. However, beauty enthusiasts have found a solution to enhance eyelashes’ volume and thickness by applying eyelash extensions. The glue used to attach the lashes to the natural hair material is of utmost importance in maintaining the look and feel of the lashes. Therefore, choosing the right eyelash extension glue is extremely important. In this article, we will explore the different types of eyelash extension glue and how to choose the perfect fit for you.
The Different Types of Eyelash Extension Glue
The first and the most popular type of eyelash extension glue is the cyanoacrylate-based adhesive. It is one of the most effective and quickest drying adhesives of all eyelash extension glues. It forms a strong bond between the natural lash and the extension which lasts from two to six weeks depending on the adhesive’s quality. However, this adhesive is not recommended for individuals who have allergic reactions to cyanoacrylate.
The second is the solvent-based adhesive; it’s used mostly for individuals who observe their extensions for a short period. It’s referred to as the weaker adhesive, and it’s recommended to be used on individuals who have not yet tested the cyanoacrylate-based adhesive because of its weak retention level.
The third type of adhesive is the medical-grade adhesive. This adhesive is recommended for individuals with medical conditions or allergies that disqualify them from using the cyanoacrylate-based adhesive.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the best Eyelash Extension Glue
1. Bonding Time
The bonding time of the glue is crucial in determining the right adhesive for your needs. Every adhesive type has a specific bonding time, and deciding which of the adhesives’ bonding time suits you well is essential.
2. Drying Time
Another vital factor to consider when selecting the perfect eyelash extension glue is the drying time, which varies from one adhesive type to another. The ideal glue should dry quickly to reduce the amount of time spent during the application process.
3. Allergic Reactions
Allergic reactions should always be kept in mind, especially when choosing the right adhesive for your eyelash extension. The adhesive type that one is allergic to should be avoided after consultation with a healthcare provider or a professional cosmetologist.
4. Retention Level
The maximum lifespan of an eyelash extension is only six weeks; nevertheless, the durability of the adhesive producing the lashes will elongate, which may last for a longer duration. The right adhesive should, therefore, have a high retention level.
Top Eyelash Extension Glues of 2021
- Sky black glue: Acyanoacrylate-based adhesive with a bonding time of two seconds and retention levels lasting for up to four weeks.
- Infinit Volume Plus: A cyanoacrylate-based adhesive with a bonding time of two seconds and retention levels lasting for up to five weeks.
- Babe Lash Professional: A cyanoacrylate-based adhesive with a bonding time of one to two seconds and a retention level that lasts for six weeks or more.
How to Apply Eyelash Extension Glue
Applying eyelash extension glue is a technical process, and proper care should be taken to ensure the success of the application. Professional cosmetologists can assist during the application process, but with the right tools, and a step-by-step guide, individuals can attempt the process themselves.
Step 1: Prepare the Lashes
Before proceeding with the application process, it’s essential to ensure that the natural lashes are clean and dry. Cleanse the lashes thoroughly with a non-oily cleanser and let them dry for about three to five minutes.
Step 2: Set Up Tools
Arrange all eyelash extension tools within reach, including the adhesive, eye pads, tweezers, and other tools required. Keep these tools within reach as mobility during the application process is restricted.
Step 3: Apply Eye Pads
Before application, ensure to apply an eye pad beneath the eyes to protect the skin from any possible contact with the adhesive during the procedure.
Step 4: Apply Adhesive
Carefully place a small drop of the adhesive on the extension and attach it to the natural lash one at a time, maintaining an appropriate distance from the natural lash bed to prevent irritations.
Step 5: Repeat the Process
Repeat the process until the desired look has been achieved.
The Bottom Line
The perfect eyelash extension glue helps keep the lashes in place and enhances their durability. However, different eyelash extension glue types and brands will fit each individual differently. Factors such as a patient’s sensitivity and application needs must always be considered. Professional help during the application process is highly recommended, but for those brave enough to handle it, with the right tools and guidance, its best to go ahead!
Common Questions and Answers
- What glue is used for eyelash extensions? The three most popular types of adhesive include medical-grade adhesive, solvent-based adhesive, and cyanoacrylate-based adhesive.
- How long does eyelash extension glue last? Most eyelash extension glues last between two to six weeks, depending on its quality and effectiveness.
- Can I wear mascara with eyelash extensions? Yes, you can; however, it’s not advisable to use waterproof mascara as it can end up damaging the extensions’ structure.
- Adams, C. (2018). Eyelash Extension Adhesive for Hypersensitive Clients. Aesthetic Journal.
- Chang, E. (2016). Review of Eyelash Extension Glues. Journal of Cosmetic Science, 67: 139-154.
- Cohen, J. L., Marmur, E. S., Schmults, C. D., Alster, T. S., Alam, M., Bhasin, S., & Glaser, D. A. (2011). Incorporating cosmetic medicine and minimally invasive procedures into a dermatology practice. JAMA Dermatology, 147(1), 58-68.