The key to any successful relationship is communication, but sometimes knowing what to talk about can be a challenge. Whether you’re in a new relationship or have been with your boyfriend for a while, coming up with conversation topics can be difficult. Here are some hot conversation starters to get the conversation flowing and strengthen your relationship.
Discuss Your Shared Interests
One of the best ways to connect with your boyfriend is to talk about your shared interests. Whether it’s a mutual hobby or a love for the same TV show, discussing your shared interests can spark great conversations. Consider starting the conversation with “I was thinking about our shared interest in…” and see where the conversation takes you.
- Your favorite TV show or movie series
- A podcast you both enjoy listening to
- Interesting articles or blog posts you’ve read recently
Talk About Your Past Experiences
Sharing your past experiences with your boyfriend can help him get to know you better and vice versa. Talking about your past can also help you learn more about your partner’s values and what’s important to them.
- Your childhood memories and upbringing
- Your school experience and educational journey
- Your past relationships and what you’ve learned from them
Discuss Your Future Goals
Talking about your goals and aspirations can help you and your boyfriend understand what’s truly important to each other. By discussing your future goals, you can also plan and work together towards accomplishing them.
- Your career and professional goals
- Your personal and fitness goals
- Your travel and adventure goals
Share Your Thoughts on Current Events
Sharing your thoughts and opinions on current events can lead to great conversations and help you understand each other’s perspectives. Be sure to approach the conversation with an open mind and considerate demeanor as some topics can be sensitive.
- Politics and government policies
- Environmental issues and climate change
- Social justice and human rights
Talk About Your Family and Friends
Your family and friends are an important part of your life, and discussing them with your boyfriend can help him feel closer to you. Sharing funny stories or interesting anecdotes can be a great way to bond over your loved ones.
- Your relationship with your parents and siblings
- Your close friends and their unique personalities
- How you’ve met your best friend and what you admire about them
Discuss Your Views on Love and Relationships
Talking about your views on love and relationships is essential for any couple to understand each other better. Ask each other questions to see what your partner is looking for in the long-term, and see where the conversation takes you.
- Your ideal relationship and what you value most in a partner
- The role of communication, trust, and intimacy in a relationship
- Your thoughts on marriage and starting a family
Exchange Stories About Pet Peeves
Exchanging stories about pet peeves can be a humorous way to connect with your boyfriend. Talking about everyday annoyances can be a lighthearted way to bond and let off some steam.
- Your pet peeves about home life and living habits
- Your pet peeves about work, colleagues, and workplace culture
- Your most annoying store or customer service experiences
Get Philosophical with Each Other
Have you ever had a philosophical conversation with your boyfriend? These kinds of conversations can be incredibly thought-provoking and insightful. By discussing big, important topics, you can learn more about each other’s worldviews, values, and beliefs.
- Your beliefs about the meaning of life and what gives it purpose
- Your thoughts on morality and ethics
- Your opinions on religion and spirituality
Discuss Your Dream Vacation Spots
Talking about your dream vacation spots can transport you and your boyfriend to exotic locales without even leaving your living room. You can learn about each other’s travel experiences and bucket lists and plan future trips together.
- Your favorite travel memories and experiences
- Your dream destinations and why you want to visit them
- Your thoughts on budget travel versus luxury travel
Play a Game or Do a Quiz Together
Playing a game or quiz together can be a fun and interactive way to start a conversation. You can find games and quizzes online or create your own – just be sure to keep the tone lighthearted and fun.
- Puzzles, word searches, and board games
- Online questionnaires and personality tests
- Trivia nights and game shows
Share Your Favorite Childhood Memories
Sharing your favorite childhood memories with your boyfriend can be a great way to bond and relate to each other. You can share childhood photos and stories about your upbringing.
- Your favorite childhood food or activity
- A funny childhood memory or experience
- Your favorite childhood place or vacation destination
Discuss Cultural Differences and Similarities
Discussing cultural differences and similarities can be a fascinating way to learn more about each other’s backgrounds and upbringings. You may learn about historical events or cultural attitudes that shaped each other’s worldviews.
- Cultural traditions and customs
- Holidays and religious celebrations
- Cultural cuisine and food preferences
Share Your Personal Anecdotes and Stories
Sharing your personal anecdotes and stories can help you and your boyfriend relate to each other on a deeper level. You can share funny stories or heartwarming memories from your past.
- A story about how you overcame a personal challenge or obstacle
- A funny or awkward story from your teenage years
- A memorable experience from a trip or vacation
Talk About Your Dreams and Fantasies
Talking about your dreams and fantasies can be a fun and exciting conversation topic for couples. You can take turns sharing your wildest hopes and aspirations or explore each other’s fantasies.
- Your wildest dreams and aspirations for the future
- Your hidden fantasies and turn-ons
- Your secret crushes or celebrity infatuations
Communication is key to any successful relationship, and coming up with hot conversation starters can be a great way to strengthen your bond with your boyfriend. Whether it’s talking about shared interests or childhood memories, current events or philosophical ideas, the key is to be open, honest, and respectful of each other’s opinions. Have fun, and happy talking!
FAQs about What to Talk About with My Boyfriend
What are some conversation starters for long-distance relationships?
Some conversation starters for long-distance relationships include discussing your daily routines, sharing photos, and playing online games or quizzes together. You can also plan future visits and talk about exciting travel destinations.
What if my boyfriend doesn’t like to talk a lot?
If your boyfriend is more introverted or doesn’t like to talk a lot, try to find activities or hobbies that you can do together that allow conversation to flow more naturally. Alternatively, you can try asking open-ended questions or trying out some of the conversation starters suggested above.
What if we can’t agree on a conversation topic?
It’s normal to have different opinions and interests, and sometimes you and your boyfriend may not agree on a conversation topic. In this case, try to find common ground, ask questions to understand each other’s perspective, and avoid getting defensive or argumentative.
- Chapman, G. (2010). The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts. Chicago, IL: Northfield Publishing.
- Gottman, J., & Silver, N. (2012). What Makes Love Last?: How to Build Trust and Avoid Betrayal. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster.
- Hendrix, H. (2009). Getting the Love You Want: A Guide for Couples. New York, NY: St. Martin’s Griffin.
- Kirshenbaum, M. F. (2012). Too Good to Leave, Too Bad to Stay: A Step-by-Step Guide to Help You Decide Whether to Stay in or Get Out of Your Relationship. New York, NY: Plume.
- Ten Speed Press. (2009). The Little Book of Love: Tips, Techniques, and Quotes to Help You Keep the Flame Alive. Berkeley, CA: Ten Speed Press.