When it comes to cleaning agents, baking soda and washing soda are two of the most commonly used substances by housekeepers. They may appear similar, but they have significant differences that can impact their effectiveness in various applications. In this article, we examine what distinguishes washing soda from baking soda.
What is Baking Soda?
Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, is a white crystalline powder that has been used for decades as a leavening agent for baking. When it is heated, baking soda releases carbon dioxide, which causes the dough or batter to rise. It is also commonly used as a cleaning agent for its abrasive properties.
Uses of Baking Soda
Baking soda is a multi-purpose substance that can be used for a variety of cleaning purposes around the house. Here are some of the most common uses:
- Cleaning and deodorizing carpets
- Cleaning and deodorizing refrigerators
- Removing stains from clothing
- Cleaning bathroom tiles and sinks
- Removing tarnish from silverware
Benefits of Baking Soda
Some of the benefits of using baking soda include:
- It is inexpensive
- It is non-toxic and does not harm the environment
- It can be used for cooking and cleaning purposes
- It has multiple uses and can be used alone or in combination with other ingredients
What is Washing Soda?
Washing soda, also known as sodium carbonate, is a white crystalline powder that is made by heating baking soda to a high temperature. The heating process removes water and carbon dioxide, leaving behind sodium carbonate. Washing soda is highly alkaline, making it an effective cleaning agent.
Uses of Washing Soda
Washing soda is commonly utilized in the following applications:
- Cleaning laundry and removing stains
- Cleaning greasy surfaces like stovetops and ovens
- Cleaning bathroom tiles and sinks
- Removing rust from metal surfaces
Benefits of Washing Soda
Washing soda is an effective cleaner for various surfaces, and it has numerous benefits that include:
- It is a versatile cleaner, efficient for multiple applications
- It is an environmental-friendly alternative to other harsh cleaners
- It is affordable
Key Differences between Baking Soda and Washing Soda
The primary differences between baking soda and washing soda include:
|Baking Soda||Washing Soda|
|Not as strong as washing soda||More alkaline, making it a stronger cleaner|
|Used mostly as a leavening agent for baking||Used for heavy-duty cleaning tasks|
|Less expensive than washing soda||Costs more than baking soda|
How to Use Baking Soda and Washing Soda
Using Baking Soda
Baking soda has various applications, some of which include the following:
- Mixing baking soda and water to create a paste that can clean surfaces like kitchen countertops, sinks, and bathroom tiles.
- Mixing baking soda with vinegar or lemon juice to create a foaming agent that is useful in cleaning various surfaces.
- Adding baking soda to laundry detergent can help remove dirt, grime, and odor for a fresher-looking and smelling laundry.
Using Washing Soda
Washing soda is a potent cleaner that should be handled with care. Here are some tips on how to use it:
- Mixing washing soda with water to create a cleaning solution suitable for laundry, floors, and hard surfaces.
- Adding washing soda to laundry detergent can help break down stains and dirt for cleaner and brighter clothes.
- For heavy-duty cleaning, mix washing soda with other cleaners such as vinegar, lemon juice or baking soda to create a potent cleaning solution.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between baking soda and washing soda?
The primary difference between baking soda and washing soda is that washing soda is more alkaline, making it a more potent cleaner. Baking soda is primarily used as a leavening agent for baking, while washing soda is used for heavy-duty cleaning tasks.
Can you use washing soda and baking soda together?
Yes, you can mix washing soda and baking soda to create a potent cleaning solution. However, the mixture should be used with care as it is highly alkaline and can be harsh on some surfaces.
Is washing soda safe to use?
Washing soda is safe to use but should be handled with care. It is highly alkaline, and prolonged exposure or inhalation of the powder can cause skin, eye, and respiratory irritations.
Can you use baking soda for laundry?
Baking soda is an excellent addition to laundry detergent as it can help remove stains, dirt, and odors. It can also be used to pre-treat stains before washing.
Can washing soda be used on clothes?
Yes, washing soda can be used to clean clothes. It is an effective laundry booster that helps remove stains, dirt and brightens clothes.