Chewing gum is a popular activity that helps freshen breath and pass time. But did you know that certain gums can also improve your dental health? Gum that contains xylitol has been found to reduce the risk of tooth decay and cavities. Xylitol is a natural sweetener that has been shown to be effective in preventing the growth of bacteria that cause cavities. In this article, we will explore which gum brands contain xylitol, and provide you with information to help you choose the best gum for your dental care routine.
The Benefits of Xylitol Gum
Xylitol is a natural sugar alternative that is found in many fruits and vegetables. It is commonly used as a sweetener in sugar-free gum and has several health benefits, including:
- Reduces the risk of tooth decay and cavities
- Improves oral health by increasing saliva production and neutralizing acids in the mouth
- May aid in weight loss by reducing calorie intake
- Has a low glycemic index, making it a good sugar substitute for people with diabetes
- May improve bone density in postmenopausal women
With so many benefits, it’s no wonder that many people are choosing to switch to xylitol gum as part of their dental care routine. But which brands contain xylitol? Read on to find out!
Xylitol Gum Brands
Spry Xylitol Gum
Spry is a well-known brand of xylitol gum that is widely available in grocery stores and online. Their gum comes in a variety of flavors, including spearmint, peppermint, cinnamon, and berry blast. Each piece of gum contains 1 gram of xylitol and is recommended for optimal dental health.
TheraBreath Xylitol Gum
TheraBreath is another brand of xylitol gum that is designed to freshen breath and promote dental health. Their gum comes in a variety of flavors, including fresh breath, orange-mint, and green tea. Each piece of gum contains 1 gram of xylitol and is recommended for optimal dental health.
Pür is a brand of gum that is known for its natural ingredients and great taste. Their gum is free from sugar, aspartame, and other harmful chemicals, making it a great choice for those who are health-conscious. Pür gum comes in a variety of flavors, including peppermint, spearmint, and wintergreen. Each piece of gum contains 1 gram of xylitol and is recommended for optimal dental health.
Xyloburst Xylitol Gum
Xyloburst is a brand of xylitol gum that is designed to promote dental health and freshen breath. Their gum comes in a variety of flavors, including peppermint, spearmint, and fruit. Each piece of gum contains 1 gram of xylitol and is recommended for optimal dental health.
Ice Breakers Ice Cubes
Ice Breakers Ice Cubes are a popular brand of gum that contains xylitol. Their gum is sugar-free and comes in a variety of flavors, including peppermint, wintergreen, spearmint, and bubble gum. While each piece of gum only contains a small amount of xylitol, it is still an effective way to improve dental health.
How to Choose the Best Xylitol Gum
When choosing a xylitol gum, it’s important to consider a few factors:
Look for gum that contains at least 1 gram of xylitol per piece. This is the amount that is recommended for optimal dental health.
Choose gum that is free from sugar, aspartame, and other harmful chemicals. This will ensure that you are getting the most health benefits from your gum.
Choose a flavor that you enjoy so that you are more likely to chew the gum regularly.
Consider the price per piece when choosing a xylitol gum. While some brands may be more expensive, they may also contain more xylitol per piece, making them a better value in the long run.
Xylitol Gum and Dental Health
There is a growing body of research that supports the use of xylitol gum in improving dental health. In fact, the American Dental Association recommends the use of xylitol gum as part of a comprehensive oral care routine. Studies have shown that xylitol gum:
- Reduces the risk of tooth decay by preventing the growth of bacteria that cause cavities
- Increases saliva production, which helps to neutralize acids in the mouth and reduce the risk of cavities
- Reduces the amount of plaque and tartar buildup on teeth
- May help to improve gum health by reducing inflammation and bleeding
While xylitol gum is not a substitute for good oral hygiene practices, it can be an effective way to supplement your dental care routine and improve your overall oral health.
Xylitol gum is a natural alternative to traditional gum that can improve your dental health and freshen your breath. With so many brands to choose from, it’s important to consider the xylitol content, ingredients, flavor, and price when making your selection. By incorporating xylitol gum into your daily routine, you can reduce your risk of cavities, improve your oral health, and enjoy a fresh, clean mouth.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is xylitol?
- Xylitol is a natural sweetener that is found in many fruits and vegetables. It is commonly used as a sugar substitute in many foods and beverages.
- Why is xylitol gum good for your teeth?
- Xylitol has been shown to reduce the risk of tooth decay and cavities by preventing the growth of bacteria that cause cavities. It also increases saliva production, which helps to neutralize acids in the mouth and reduce the risk of cavities.
- How much xylitol gum should I chew per day?
- The American Dental Association recommends chewing gum that contains at least 1 gram of xylitol per piece, for a total of 4-12 grams per day.
- Is xylitol gum safe for everyone to use?
- Xylitol gum is generally safe for most people to use. However, it is important to note that excessive consumption of xylitol can cause digestive issues, such as diarrhea and bloating. If you have a sensitivity to xylitol, it is best to avoid using xylitol gum.
1. Soderling E. Xylitol, mutans streptococci, and dental plaque. Advances in dental research. 2009;21(1):74-78.
2. American Dental Association. Chewing Gum. MouthHealthy. https://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/c/chewing-gum.
3. Mäkinen KK. Effects of xylitol on the metabolism of oral bacteria. The Journal of dental research. 1985;64(special issue):1062-8.
4. Jindal G, Pandey RK, Agarwal J, Singh M, Gupta S, Gupta R. Xylitol: a review on bioproduction, application, health benefits, and related safety issues. Critical reviews in food science and nutrition. 2016;56(11):1865-73.