Brown is a versatile and warm color that can be paired with many other colors to create a stylish and inviting look. Whether you are looking to decorate your home, your wardrobe, or your artwork, there are many great color combinations to choose from. In this article, we will explore the top picks and tips for what goes good with brown.
One of the easiest ways to pair brown is with other neutral colors. These include white, black, gray, and beige. The key to a successful neutral pairing is to vary the shades and textures of the different colors to create depth and dimension.
White is a classic color that pairs beautifully with brown. For a crisp and clean look, use bright white with dark brown. For a softer, more feminine look, try ivory or cream paired with a lighter shade of brown.
Black and brown may seem like an unusual pairing, but when done right, it can be incredibly chic. Use black with medium to light shades of brown to create a modern look.
Gray is another great neutral color to pair with brown. Light gray works well with lighter shades of brown, while darker shades of gray pair nicely with darker browns. Gray also adds a touch of sophistication to a brown color scheme.
Beige is a warm and inviting neutral color that works well with brown. Pair light beige with darker brown shades for a cozy and inviting look, or try darker beige shades with light brown for a more modern look.
If you want to make a statement, pair brown with bold and bright colors. The key is to use these colors sparingly so that they don’t overwhelm the brown. Here are a few of our top picks:
Orange is a warm and exciting color that pairs beautifully with brown. For a subtle pairing, use muted shades of orange, like coral or terracotta. For a bolder look, try using bright orange accents with a darker brown backdrop.
Green is a calming and refreshing color that pairs well with brown. Use lighter shades of green, like mint or sage, with light brown for a serene and soothing look. For a bolder look, try pairing olive green with dark brown.
Red is a bold and vibrant color that can be tricky to pair with brown. For a more subtle look, use reddish-brown shades, like burgundy or wine, with light brown. For a bolder look, try pairing bright red with dark brown.
Metallics add a touch of glamour and sophistication to any color scheme, and brown is no exception. Pairing metallics with brown adds instant warmth and texture to a space. Here are some of our top metallic picks:
Gold is a warm and luxurious color that pairs beautifully with brown. Use gold accents, like picture frames or candle holders, with light brown shades for a subtle look. For a bolder look, try pairing bright gold with dark brown.
Silver adds a cool and sleek touch to brown color schemes. Use silver accents with lighter shades of brown for a modern and sophisticated look. For a more dramatic look, try pairing silver with darker brown shades.
Patterned fabrics and wallpaper are a great way to add interest and texture to a brown color scheme. Here are some of our top pattern picks:
Stripes are a classic pattern that adds a touch of sophistication to brown color schemes. For a subtle look, try using striped accent pillows or a striped area rug. For a bolder look, try using striped wallpaper or curtains.
Floral patterns can add a touch of femininity and romance to brown color schemes. Use muted floral patterns with lighter shades of brown for a subtle look, or try using bold floral patterns with darker brown shades for a more dramatic look.
Geometric patterns add a modern and playful touch to brown color schemes. Use geometric patterned throw pillows or area rugs for a subtle touch, or try using geometric patterned wallpaper or curtains for a bolder look.
Tips for Pairing Brown
- Consider the shade: Brown comes in many different shades, from light beige to dark chocolate. Consider the shade of brown you are working with when selecting other colors to pair with it.
- Don’t be afraid to mix neutrals: Brown pairs beautifully with other neutral colors, like white, black, and gray. Try mixing and matching different neutrals to create depth and interest.
- Use white as a neutralizer: White is an excellent neutral color to pair with brown, as it can help to tone down darker or bolder shades of brown.
- Use metallics to add texture: Metallic accents, like gold or silver, can add instant warmth and texture to a brown color scheme.
- Consider the style: The style of your space or wardrobe can impact which colors work best with brown. For example, brown pairs well with earthy colors for a bohemian look, or with bold colors for a modern look.
There are many great color combinations that pair beautifully with brown, whether you are decorating your home, your wardrobe, or your artwork. By considering the shade of brown you are working with, as well as the style and mood you want to create, you can choose the perfect color pairings to create a stylish and inviting look.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What colors go with light brown? Light brown pairs beautifully with other neutral colors, like white, black, gray, and beige. Soft shades of pink, green, and blue also work well with light brown.
- What colors go with dark brown? Dark brown pairs well with rich jewel tones, like emerald green and sapphire blue. It also pairs well with warm metallic accents, like gold and copper.
- Can brown be mixed with black? Yes, brown and black can be mixed together for a modern and sophisticated look. Use medium to light shades of brown with black for the best results.
- How can I add interest to a brown color scheme? Use patterned fabrics, like striped or floral patterns, to add interest and depth to a brown color scheme. Metallic accents, like gold or silver, can also add texture and warmth.
- What neutral colors pair best with brown? White, black, gray, and beige are all great neutral colors to pair with brown. Vary the shades and textures of these colors to create depth and interest.