Facials are a great way to get glowing, healthy skin. But did you know that what you do before your facial can have a big impact on the results? Here are some tips to help you prepare for your next facial.
1. Drink Plenty of Water
Hydrated skin is essential for a successful facial. Drinking plenty of water in the days leading up to your facial can help ensure that your skin is well-hydrated and ready for treatment. Aim to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
2. Avoid Sun Exposure
Exposure to the sun can damage your skin and make it more sensitive. It’s important to avoid sun exposure in the days leading up to your facial. If you do have to be outside, make sure to wear a hat and use sunscreen.
3. Don’t Exfoliate too Much
Exfoliation is important for removing dead skin cells, but too much exfoliation can be harmful to your skin. Avoid exfoliating for at least two days before your facial to avoid irritation.
4. Use Gentle Products
In the days leading up to your facial, avoid using harsh or abrasive skincare products. Stick to gentle cleansers and moisturizers to avoid irritating your skin.
5. Avoid Facial Waxing
If you get your eyebrows or upper lip waxed, avoid doing so in the week leading up to your facial. Waxing can cause irritation and make your skin more sensitive, which can interfere with the results of your facial.
6. Be Honest with Your Esthetician
When you go in for your facial, be honest with your esthetician about any skin concerns or issues you may be experiencing. This will help them choose the right products and treatments for your skin.
7. Avoid Makeup
Avoid wearing makeup on the day of your facial. This will allow your esthetician to see your skin more clearly and provide a more effective treatment. If you do have to wear makeup, make sure to remove it thoroughly before your appointment.
8. Arrive Early
Arrive at least 15 minutes early for your facial appointment. This will give you time to fill out any paperwork and relax before your treatment.
9. Wear Comfortable Clothing
Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing to your facial appointment. Tight clothing can be uncomfortable during treatment and may leave marks on your skin.
10. Prepare for Relaxation
A facial is a great way to relax and de-stress. Prepare for your facial by bringing a book or some relaxing music to listen to during your treatment.
11. Be Prepared for Post-Treatment Care
Your esthetician will likely provide you with post-treatment care instructions, such as avoiding sun exposure and using gentle skincare products. Be prepared to follow these instructions to ensure the best results from your facial.
12. Talk to Your Esthetician about Follow-Up Treatments
Your esthetician may recommend follow-up treatments to help you maintain the results of your facial. Talk to them about the best options for your skin and how often you should come in for treatment.
13. Consider Your Schedule
Plan your facial around your schedule to ensure that you have time to relax and recover afterwards. Avoid scheduling your facial before important events or when you have a lot of commitments.
14. Do Your Research
Research different types of facials and find one that best suits your skin concerns and goals. Talk to your esthetician about the different options available and which one would be best for you.
15. Relax and Enjoy the Experience
Most importantly, relax and enjoy your facial experience. This is a great way to take care of your skin and indulge in some self-care.
With these tips, you can ensure that your skin is properly prepared for your next facial. Remember to listen to your esthetician’s advice and follow post-treatment instructions for the best results.
Commonly Asked Questions About Pre-Facial Prep
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about preparing for a facial:
- When should I start preparing for my facial? Ideally, you should start preparing for your facial a week before your appointment.
- What should I do the day of my facial? Avoid wearing makeup and wear comfortable clothing to your appointment.
- What should I avoid before my facial? Avoid sun exposure, excessive exfoliation, and harsh skincare products before your facial.
- What should I do after my facial? Follow your esthetician’s post-treatment instructions, which may include avoiding sun exposure and using gentle skincare products.
- How often should I get a facial? This depends on your skin concerns and goals. Your esthetician can recommend the best schedule for you.
1. American Academy of Dermatology Association. (n.d.). Preparing for your appointment. Retrieved August 18, 2021, from https://www.aad.org/public/everyday-care/skin-care-basics/face/preparation
2. Cleveland Clinic. (2015, June 4). How to Prepare for a Facial. Retrieved August 18, 2021, from https://health.clevelandclinic.org/how-to-prepare-for-a-facial/
3. Ellemes Medical Spa. (2018, September 21). Before and After Facial Treatment Care Tips. Retrieved August 18, 2021, from https://ellemesmedspa.com/blogs/news/before-and-after-facial-treatment-care-tips