Staying physically active has numerous benefits, including improved cardiovascular health, decreased risk of chronic diseases, and better mental health. In this article, we will explore the meaning of being active and how it can benefit you.
What does being active mean?
Being active refers to engaging in any physical activity that gets your heart rate up and burns calories. This can range from simple activities, such as walking and gardening, to more intense ones, such as running and weightlifting. The key is to incorporate physical activity into your daily routine, no matter how small the effort is.
The Benefits of Being Active
Physical health benefits
Regular physical activity has numerous benefits for your physical health. It can help you:
- Reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease
- Strengthen bones and muscles
- Improve balance and flexibility
- Boost endurance and energy levels
- Lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Improve sleep quality
Incorporating physical activity into your daily routine is crucial for maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle. It is recommended that adults get at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity, or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity physical activity, per week, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
Mental health benefits
Physical activity not only benefits your physical health but also has numerous mental health benefits. It can:
- Reduce stress, anxiety, and depression
- Improve self-esteem and confidence
- Boost overall mood and happiness levels
- Promote better cognitive function and brain health
- Provide an opportunity for social interaction and networking
Engaging in physical activity can be a great way to combat stress and anxiety and improve overall mental well-being.
Types of Physical Activity
Aerobic exercise, also known as cardio, involves repetitive and continuous movements that increase the heart rate, such as running, cycling, and swimming. It is an excellent way to improve cardiovascular health and increase endurance.
Strength training involves using resistance to build muscle and improve overall strength, such as lifting weights, using resistance bands, and doing bodyweight exercises. It is an excellent way to build muscle, increase bone density, and boost metabolism.
Flexibility training focuses on stretching and improving range of motion, such as yoga, Pilates, and stretching exercises. It is an excellent way to improve mobility, flexibility, and prevent injury.
Tips for Staying Active
Set realistic goals
Start by setting realistic goals that are achievable and challenging but not overwhelming. This will help you stay motivated and on track.
Find activities you enjoy
Find physical activities that you enjoy and that fit into your lifestyle. This can help you stay motivated and make physical activity a regular part of your routine.
Incorporate physical activity into your daily routine
Incorporate physical activity into your daily routine, such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking farther away from the entrance, or taking a walk during your lunch break.
Make it a group activity
Make physical activity a group activity by joining a sports team or exercise class. This can provide accountability and social interaction, making physical activity more enjoyable and motivating.
Being active is essential for maintaining good physical and mental health. By incorporating physical activity into your daily routine, you can reap numerous benefits that can improve your quality of life. Whether it’s running, strength training, or yoga, find physical activities that you enjoy and make them a regular part of your routine.
Common questions and answers related to “Out and About: The Meaning of Being Active”
- What is the definition of being active? Being active refers to engaging in any physical activity that gets your heart rate up and burns calories.
- What are the benefits of being active? Physical activity has numerous benefits for your physical and mental health, such as reducing the risk of chronic diseases, strengthening bones and muscles, improving balance and flexibility, and boosting overall mood and happiness levels.
- What are the types of physical activity? The three main types of physical activity are aerobic exercise, strength training, and flexibility training.
- How much physical activity should adults get? It is recommended that adults get at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity, or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity physical activity, per week, according to the World Health Organization.
- How can I stay active? You can stay active by setting realistic goals, finding physical activities you enjoy, incorporating physical activity into your daily routine, and making physical activity a group activity.
- World Health Organization. (2019). Physical activity. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/physical-activity
- Mayo Clinic Staff. (2021). Exercise: 7 benefits of regular physical activity. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/exercise/art-20048389