When it comes to cough and cold, there are plenty of home remedies that people resort to. One of the most popular remedies is pineapple juice. Pineapple juice has a reputation for helping to ease the symptoms of a cough. Some people swear by it while others are skeptical. In this article, we will take a deep dive into the topic of pineapple juice and cough and see what science has to say about it.
What is a Cough?
A cough is a reflex action that is used by our body to clear our airways. It is a natural process that helps us to remove unwanted substances and debris from our lungs, trachea, and throat. The common causes of cough include allergies, cold, flu, irritants, pollution, and smoking. Cough can be either acute or chronic, with acute cough usually lasting up to three weeks and chronic cough for more than eight weeks.
What is Pineapple Juice?
Pineapple juice is a tropical drink that is made by extracting the juice from the pineapple fruit. Pineapple is a fruit that is native to South America and is now grown in many parts of the world. Pineapple juice is known for its sweet and tangy taste and is a popular drink across the globe. Pineapple juice is a rich source of nutrients, vitamins, and enzymes, which offer several health benefits.
How is Pineapple Juice Good for a Cough?
Pineapple juice is believed to be beneficial for a cough due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelain which has been shown to help reduce inflammation and swelling in the respiratory system. This can help to open up the airways, making it easier to breathe and reducing coughing. In addition, pineapple juice contains vitamin C, which can help to boost the immune system and fight infections that cause a cough.
Other Health Benefits of Pineapple Juice
Pineapple juice is not just good for a cough but also offers several other health benefits. Some of the key benefits of pineapple juice are:
- Rich in Vitamins and Nutrients: Pineapple juice is a rich source of several essential vitamins and nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin B6, thiamin, riboflavin, and folate.
- Good for Digestion: Pineapple juice contains bromelain which has been shown to aid in digestion by breaking down proteins in the digestive tract.
- Helps Reduce Inflammation: Pineapple juice has anti-inflammatory properties which help to reduce inflammation throughout the body.
- Good for Skin: Pineapple juice contains vitamin C, which is essential for collagen production and is needed for healthy skin.
How to Use Pineapple Juice for a Cough?
If you are looking to use pineapple juice for a cough, you can either drink it as it is or mix it with other ingredients to create a healthy cough syrup. Here’s a simple recipe for a pineapple cough syrup:
|Ingredients||How to Use|
|1 cup of freshly squeezed pineapple juice||Drink 1 to 2 cups of pineapple juice per day to help relieve a cough.|
|1 tablespoon of honey||Mix honey with pineapple juice to create a natural cough syrup. Take 1 tablespoon of this syrup up to three times per day.|
|1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper||Mix cayenne pepper with pineapple juice to create a cough syrup. Take 1 teaspoon of this syrup up to three times per day.|
Precautions to Take
While pineapple juice is generally considered safe, people with certain health conditions should avoid consuming it. If you have any of the following conditions, avoid using pineapple juice for a cough:
- Low Blood Pressure
- Allergic to Bromelain
Pineapple juice is a natural remedy that has been used for generations to help relieve cough and other respiratory problems. While there is limited scientific research to support its use, pineapple juice is an excellent source of several essential vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that offer several health benefits. If you are considering using pineapple juice for a cough, we recommend speaking with your doctor first.
- What are the health benefits of drinking pineapple juice?
Pineapple juice is a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that offer several health benefits such as aiding digestion, reducing inflammation, and boosting the immune system.
- Can pineapple juice help with a cough?
Pineapple juice contains an enzyme called bromelain, which has been shown to help reduce inflammation and swelling in the respiratory system. This can help to open up the airways, making it easier to breathe and reducing coughing.
- How much pineapple juice should I drink per day for a cough?
The recommended dose of pineapple juice for a cough is 1 to 2 cups per day. You can also mix pineapple juice with other ingredients such as honey or cayenne pepper to make a natural cough syrup.
- What are the precautions to take while using pineapple juice for a cough?
People with health conditions such as diabetes, low blood pressure, ulcers, or allergies to bromelain should avoid consuming pineapple juice.
1. Bhowmick, S., Kanodia, L., & Makhija, P. (2019). Pineapple: A review of potential health benefits.
2. Mashhadi, N. S., Ghiasvand, R., Askari, G., Hariri, M., & Darvishi, L. (2013). Anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory effects of ginger in health and physical activity: review of current evidence. International journal of preventive medicine, 4(Suppl 1), S36–S42.
3. Kargazi Zarandi, S., Sooki, Z., Sharifzadeh, M., & Kamalinejad, M. (2019). The effect of Oral Administration of Pineapple Juice on Irritable Cough with Sputum and Malondialdehyde Level in Patients with Tuberculosis. Journal of Research in Medical and Dental Science, 7(2), 186-190.