Gloves are an essential part of any wardrobe during the fall and winter. Whether you are dressing up for a fancy event or just running errands around town, gloves help keep your hands warm and protected from the harsh elements. However, finding the right pair of gloves can be a challenge, and even when you do, wearing them can be a challenge. Here are some tips and tricks to help you wear gloves without looking like a clumsy mess.
Choose the right gloves
The first step in wearing gloves successfully is choosing the right pair. There are many different types of gloves available, from leather to wool to fleece to knit. Consider the following factors when selecting your gloves:
- Leather gloves are classic and durable, perfect for dressier occasions.
- Wool gloves are warm and cozy, great for everyday wear in colder temperatures.
- Fleece gloves are lightweight and breathable, making them ideal for outdoor activities.
- Knit gloves are stylish and versatile, perfect for layering or adding a pop of color to your outfit.
Make sure to choose gloves that fit snugly without being too tight. Gloves that are too big will slip and slide around your fingers, while gloves that are too small will constrict your movement and make it difficult to hold things. Measure your hand before purchasing gloves to ensure a proper fit.
Coordinate with your outfit
Gloves can be a great accessory to add some style and flair to your outfit. But in order to look put together, it’s important to coordinate your gloves with the rest of your clothing. Consider the following factors when selecting gloves to match your outfit:
Choose gloves that complement the colors in your outfit, whether that means matching or contrasting. A bold pair of gloves can add a pop of color to an otherwise neutral outfit, while a pair of neutral gloves can tone down a more colorful ensemble.
Consider the formality of your outfit when selecting gloves. Dressier outfits call for more formal gloves, while casual outfits can be paired with more laid-back gloves. For example, leather gloves are appropriate for a business meeting, while knit gloves are perfect for a weekend brunch.
Get a grip
Wearing gloves can make it difficult to perform everyday tasks, such as using your phone or opening doors. But fear not! There are gloves specifically designed with grip and functionality in mind. Look for gloves with textured palms or fingertips to help you keep a firm grip on your belongings.
Proper glove etiquette
Believe it or not, there is an appropriate way to wear gloves. Follow these helpful tips to ensure proper glove etiquette:
When removing gloves, grasp the palm of one glove with the opposite hand and carefully pull it off. Then, place that glove in the palm of your gloved hand and slip your fingers under the cuff of the other glove, pulling it off and turning it inside out as you go. This will avoid getting your skin caught in the lining of the gloves.
When not in use, store your gloves in a dry, cool place to prevent damage to the leather or fabric. Avoid storing gloves in direct sunlight or near sources of heat, which can cause fading or cracking.
Wearing gloves may seem like a simple task, but there are many factors to consider when styling them. By selecting the right material, coordinating with your outfit, getting a grip, and practicing proper glove etiquette, you can wear gloves with confidence and style!
- Q: Can I wear gloves with a coat that has a fur collar?
- A: Yes! Gloves can be paired with coats with fur collars, but make sure the colors and styles complement each other.
- Q: How can I clean my gloves?
- A: Check the cleaning instructions on the label of the gloves. For leather gloves, use a damp cloth to wipe away dirt and grime, and then allow the gloves to air dry. For fabric gloves, check whether they are machine washable or should be hand washed.
- Q: Can gloves be worn to a formal event?
- A: Yes! Leather gloves are a classic accessory for a formal event, particularly with a tuxedo or evening gown.
- Q: Should I take my gloves off when shaking hands?
- A: Yes, it is polite to remove gloves when shaking hands. This allows for a proper and respectful greeting.
- Schneidmuller, B. (2019, November 20). How to wear gloves properly. Leather Gloves Online. https://leatherglovesonline.com/blogs/glove-journal/how-to-wear-gloves-properly
- Decker, K. (2018, December 19). How to wear gloves like a refined gentleman. The Gentlemanual. https://www.ties.com/blog/how-to-wear-gloves
- Wieder, S. (2016, November 2). These are the only gloves you need this season. Men’s Journal. https://www.mensjournal.com/style/these-are-the-only-gloves-you-need-to-be-ready-for-winter-w449944/