Are you tired of your unruly wavy hair? Do you want to transform it into luscious curls? Well, you’re in luck because we’ve got you covered!
Understanding your hair type
The first step in transforming your wavy hair into curls is understanding your hair type. Every individual has a different hair type. For wavy-haired individuals, their hair might have curl patterns that are not well-defined, unlike curly hair. Wavy hair may have some curls or no curls at all. It is essential to figure out your hair type to know which products and techniques will work best for you.
Determine your hair type & Curl pattern
There are several types of wavy hair: Type 2A, 2B, and 2C. Type 2A hair is slightly wavy, while type 2B hair has more defined waves, and type 2C hair has pronounced, well-defined waves. To determine your hair type, the best way is to look for a curl pattern. A curl pattern is the shape of your hair strands. You can typically identify the curl pattern by looking at a single strand of hair.
Know the Characteristics of Wavy Hair
Wavy hair is naturally dry due to the shape of the hair strands. The hair’s cuticles are not tightly packed, making it easier for moisture to escape. Moreover, wavy hair is prone to frizz because it is more porous than straight hair. Another characteristic of wavy hair is that it is prone to becoming limp because the hair strands are not as tightly coiled as curly hair.
How to make your wavy hair curly?
Making your wavy hair curly involves changing your hair’s texture. Here are some easy tips and tricks to help you transform your wavy hair into luscious curls.
Use a Shampoo/Conditioner for Curly Hair
Shampoos and conditioners formulated for curly hair are best for wavy hair because they add moisture to the hair strands. Look for products with hydrating ingredients to keep your waves bouncy and luscious. Avoid products with sulfates, as they will strip your hair and make it dry, causing frizz.
Apply Mousse on Damp Hair
After washing your hair with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, apply a mousse on damp hair. This will help define your curls and keep them in place. Use a quarter-sized amount, apply it evenly and scrunch your hair gently to encourage the curl pattern. You can also use a diffuser attachment on your hairdryer to dry your hair while keeping the curls intact.
Use Hot Rollers or Curling Iron
It’s always a good idea to use some heat styling tools to create curls that will last longer. Choose hot rollers, curling iron or wand, depending on the size of the curls you want. Wrap a section of hair around the curling tool and hold it for a few seconds. Hold for a longer duration if you want tight curls, and for a lesser time if you want loose waves. After curling, apply some hairspray to hold the curls in place.
Apply Serum to Tame the Frizz
Applying a serum or leave-in conditioner after curling your hair is an excellent way to keep the curls looking glossy and prevent the frizz. Take a few drops of serum in your hand, rub them together and then apply them evenly to your hair strands. This will also make your hair look healthier and hydrated.
What are some Products to Help Create Curls for Wavy Hair?
Certain products work well to help create curls for wavy hair:
- Hydrating Shampoo and Conditioner: Use sulfate-free hydrating shampoo and conditioner. It will add moisture and prevent frizz
- Mousse: Use a mousse on damp hair, it adds volume, and helps define curls.
- Curl-Enhancing Cream: It is light and does not weigh down your hair, adds moisture, and helps in defining curls.
- Hair Oil: Helps to boost hydration and reduce frizz caused by wavy hair.
Tips and Tricks to Maintain Your Curls
Here are some tips and tricks to help you maintain your luscious curls:
- Don’t wash your curls every day: Washing your curls daily can lead to dryness and frizziness. Wash every other day or twice a week.
- Use a silk scarf or pillowcase: Silk reduces frizz and doesn’t absorb moisture like cotton.
- Avoid using a brush: Use a wide-tooth comb to detangle your hair, do not brush it out.
- Avoid touching your curls too much: Touching your curls too much can break them, and will cause your curls to fall apart.
It is possible to transform wavy hair into luscious curls with the right products and techniques. Once you know your hair type and curl pattern, you can use the above tips and tricks to create gorgeous curls. The key is to take care of your hair and use gentle products that hydrate and nourish the hair.
Here are the most common questions about wavy hair and their answers:
- How can I make my wavy hair curly overnight? Braid your hair when it’s damp and sleep with it overnight. When you take out the braid in the morning, you’ll have gorgeous curls.
- How often should I wash my curly hair? Curly hair should be washed around twice a week.
- Can I use a diffuser with my hairdryer every day? It is not recommended to use a diffuser with your hairdryer every day. Overdrying your hair can lead to further damage.