Scalp itching under weave can be quite irritating and uncomfortable. It is a common problem among people who wear weaves or extensions, and it can be caused by a variety of factors. However, the good news is that there are several solutions that can help you alleviate scalp itching under weave. This article will provide you with easy solutions on how to stop scalp itching under weave.
What causes scalp itching under weave?
Before we dive into the solutions, it is essential to understand what causes scalp itching under weave. There are several reasons why you may experience scalp itching under weave, such as:
- Poor hygiene: One of the main reasons for scalp itching is poor hygiene. Your scalp needs to be kept clean and healthy to prevent the buildup of bacteria and dirt.
- Dry scalp: A dry scalp can also cause itching. Weaves and extensions can sometimes strip the natural oils from your scalp, causing dryness and itching.
- Chemical irritation: Extensions and weaves are often treated with chemicals such as lye, which can sometimes irritate your scalp and cause itching.
- Allergic reactions: Some people may be allergic to the hair or chemicals used in their weave, which can cause itching.
Easy solutions to stop scalp itching under weave
1. Wash your hair regularly
Washing your hair regularly is critical to keeping your scalp clean and healthy. You need to wash your hair at least once a week, especially if you have a weave or extensions. Use a sulfate-free shampoo and warm water to wash your hair thoroughly. A beneficial tip is to use a shampoo brush to get rid of any dirt or buildup on your scalp.
2. Keep your scalp moisturized
A dry scalp can lead to itching and discomfort. Therefore, it is vital to moisturize your scalp regularly. You can use natural oils such as coconut oil, jojoba oil, or olive oil to moisturize your scalp. Apply the oil to your scalp and massage it gently. Do not apply the oil to your weave or extensions as it can cause buildup.
3. Avoid using harsh chemicals
Harsh chemicals such as lye can irritate your scalp and cause itching. Therefore, it is crucial to avoid using hair products that contain harmful chemicals. Opt for natural hair products that are gentle on your scalp.
4. Wear a breathable weave
The type of weave or extensions you wear can affect your scalp’s health. Therefore, it is essential to choose a breathable weave that allows air to circulate around your scalp. Avoid weaves that are too tight or heavy as they can cause stress on your scalp, leading to itching and discomfort.
5. Rinse your scalp thoroughly
After washing your hair, ensure that you rinse your scalp thoroughly. Any shampoo or conditioner residue left on your scalp can cause itching and inflammation. Use warm water to rinse your scalp and ensure that there is no residue left.
6. Use anti-itch products
You can use anti-itch products to alleviate any itching or discomfort on your scalp. Look for products that contain natural ingredients such as tea tree oil, peppermint oil, or aloe vera. These ingredients help to soothe the scalp and reduce any inflammation or irritation.
7. Do not scratch your scalp
Scratching your scalp can cause more itching and irritation. Therefore, it is vital to resist the urge to scratch your scalp. If you experience itching, you can use a scalp massager or a soft brush to alleviate the discomfort instead.
Scalp itching under weave can be uncomfortable, but it is not a problem that you cannot solve. Regularly wash your hair, keep your scalp moisturized, choose a breathable weave, and avoid using harsh chemicals are just some of the solutions that you can use to stop scalp itching under weave. By following these easy tips, you can keep your scalp healthy, and more importantly, free from itching and discomfort.
- Is it normal to have an itchy scalp when wearing a weave?
- Can I use regular shampoo on my weave?
- How do I know if I am allergic to the hair or chemicals in my weave?
- How often should I oil my scalp?
It is common to experience scalp itching when wearing a weave or extensions. However, if the itching is severe or persistent, it is essential to seek medical attention as it could be a sign of an underlying scalp problem.
It is recommended to use sulfate-free shampoo on your weave or extensions. Sulfates can strip the natural oils from your hair, causing dryness and itching.
If you experience severe itching, redness, or swelling after installing a weave or extensions, it could be a sign of an allergic reaction. You should seek medical attention immediately to avoid further complications.
You can oil your scalp once a week. However, it would help if you were careful not to apply too much oil as it can cause buildup and make your weave or extensions look greasy.
- Holland, K., & Waite, B. (2017). Hair Matters: African American Women and the Natural Hair Aesthetic. Columbia University Press.
- Reid, T. (2018). Healthy Hair: A Guide to Natural Hair Care. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Wade, N. (2019). Natural Hair Care: 125+ Homemade Hair Care Recipes And Secrets For Beauty, Growth, Shine, Repair And Styling. Independently published.