When it comes to resisting food temptations, everyone struggles at one point or another. Whether it’s trying to resist that slice of cake or that bag of potato chips, the temptation can often be too much to handle. However, there are a few tips and tricks that you can use to help you resist those food temptations and stick to your healthy eating goals.
Understand your cravings
Cravings for certain foods can often be caused by different factors, such as stress, boredom or even hormonal changes. Understanding the underlying cause behind your craving can help you take steps to overcome it. For example, if you find yourself craving sweets when you’re stressed, finding alternate ways to manage stress such as practicing yoga or meditation can help reduce your cravings.
Keep healthy snacks handy
One way to resist food temptations is to keep healthy snacks readily available. Stock up on fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, and seeds, and keep them in easily accessible places such as your office or home. This way, when you feel tempted to reach for unhealthy snacks such as chips or candy, you have a healthy alternative ready to go.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Nuts and seeds
- Low-fat dairy products, such as yogurt
- Whole-grain crackers
Avoid skipping meals
Skipping meals can cause you to become overly hungry, making you more likely to give in to food temptations. Ensure that you eat regular, balanced meals throughout the day, and consider packing healthy snacks to eat on-the-go.
Managing food temptations at home
Resisting food temptations can be especially difficult when you’re at home, surrounded by your favorite snacks and treats. Here are a few tips for managing food temptations at home:
Remove junk food from your home
One of the easiest ways to resist food temptations at home is to remove the temptation altogether. Go through your pantry and fridge and get rid of any unhealthy snacks or treats. Replace them with healthier options such as fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole-grain products.
Plan your meals in advance
By planning your meals in advance, you can ensure that you have healthy, satisfying options available when hunger strikes. This can help you avoid reaching for unhealthy snacks or ordering takeout.
Learn portion control
Portion control is an important part of maintaining a healthy diet. Try using smaller plates or measuring cups to help keep your portion sizes in check. Additionally, take your time when eating and pay attention to your body’s hunger and fullness signals to avoid overeating.
Out and about: Managing food temptations when eating out
Eating out can be a challenge when trying to resist food temptations. However, by following these tips, you can avoid overindulging and stick to your healthy eating goals.
Research healthy options before eating out
Before heading out to a restaurant, take some time to research the menu and identify healthy options. Many restaurants now offer nutrition information online, making it easier to plan ahead.
Avoid drinking high-calorie beverages
Many restaurant beverages, such as sodas and alcoholic drinks, are high in calories and sugar. Opt for water or unsweetened tea instead to save on calories.
Avoid overeating by sharing dishes or taking leftovers home
If portion sizes are larger than expected, consider sharing a dish with a friend or taking leftovers home to enjoy later. This can help you avoid the temptation to overeat and stick to your healthy eating plan.
Resisting food temptations can be a challenge, but with a little effort and planning, it can be done. By understanding your cravings, keeping healthy snacks readily available, and planning your meals in advance, you can avoid overindulging and stay on track with your healthy eating goals.
- What causes food cravings?
- Food cravings can be caused by various factors such as stress, boredom, hormonal changes or even nutrient deficiencies.
- How do I resist food temptations while eating out?
- Research the restaurant menu in advance to identify healthy options.
- Avoid high-calorie beverages and opt for water or unsweetened tea.
- Share dishes with a friend or take leftovers home to avoid overeating.
- What are some healthy snacks to keep handy?
- Fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds, low-fat dairy products, and whole-grain crackers are all healthy snack options.
- What is portion control, and why is it important?
- Portion control is about managing the amount of food you consume at each meal. It is essential to maintain a healthy diet as it helps prevent overeating, which contributes to weight gain.
1. Kessler, D. (2009). The End of Overeating. New York: Rodale.
2. Kopelman, P. G. (2000). Obesity as a medical problem. Nature, 404(6778), 635–643.
3. Rolls, B. J., Drewnowski, A., & Ledikwe, J. H. (2005). Changing the energy density of the diet as a strategy for weight management. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 105(5 Suppl 1), S98-103. doi: 10.1016/j.jada.2005.02.030