Infidelity is one of the most devastating things that can happen in a relationship. When a partner cheats, it can shatter everything that you have built together. However, it does not mean that your relationship is over. Moving on after an affair is possible, and it takes time, patience, and effort from both partners.
Recognize the stages of healing
The aftermath of an affair is overwhelming, and it can be challenging to know what to do next. However, it is crucial to understand that healing is a process, and it occurs in stages. Here are the three primary stages of healing after an affair:
- First stage: This stage is marked by intense emotional pain, confusion, and shock. At this stage, you may feel like you are in a dream, and everything around you is unreal. You may feel like you are in a state of shock, and your emotions are numb.
- Second stage: At this stage, the intensity of your emotions will start to fade. However, you may still experience negative emotions such as anger, guilt, and shame.
- Third stage: This stage is marked by acceptance and forgiveness. At this stage, both partners have acknowledged the affair and decided to work together to rebuild the relationship.
Accept your feelings
It is normal to have a wide range of emotions after an affair. You may feel hurt, angry, humiliated, or betrayed. It is essential to accept your emotions and make sure that you do not suppress them. Accepting your feelings will allow you to process them and move on.
Seek professional help
It is crucial to seek help from a professional therapist, counselor, or coach who specializes in relationship issues. A professional will help you to explore your emotions, identify your triggers, and develop coping mechanisms.
Communicate with your partner
Communication is essential after an affair. It would be best if both partners can discuss their feelings openly and honestly. It is also necessary to listen actively when your partner is expressing their feelings.
Trust is a crucial component of any relationship. Sexuality is one of the most intimate acts between two people. Thus you may feel betrayed if your partner has been unfaithful. Rebuilding trust takes time, patience, and effort on both sides.
You may feel like you are not yourself after an affair. Practicing self-care activities such as yoga, meditation or exercise is an excellent way to restore your sense of self. Self-care activities will help you to reduce stress, anxiety and improve your mood.
Forgive but don’t forget
Forgiveness is a crucial component of the healing process. Forgiving your partner does not mean that you forget what happened or condone their actions. Forgiveness allows you to let go of the past and move forward with a clear mind. It is important to note that forgiveness is a process, and it takes time.
It is essential to acknowledge the responsibility that each partner played in the relationship. Acknowledging your part in the relationship issues will allow you to create action items that will help you improve your behavior in the relationship.
Focus on the future
It is vital to focus on the future instead of dwelling on the past. Instead of punishing your partner or yourself with endless blame and guilt, focus on what you both can do to make the relationship work.
Setting boundaries is essential after an affair. The boundaries you set will depend on your situation, but it is essential to turn towards setting healthy boundaries that are mutually agreed upon by both partners. It is important to respect each other’s boundaries to avoid future misunderstandings and conflicts.
Recovering from an affair is not an easy process. It takes time, patience, and effort from both partners. However, it is possible to heal from the aftermath of an affair and have a stronger, healthier relationship.
- Q: How do I know if my partner is truly remorseful?
- A: Remorseful partners will be willing to take responsibility for their actions, answer your questions honestly, and do what it takes to regain your trust.
- Q: Is it possible to rebuild trust after an affair?
- A: Yes, it is possible to rebuild trust after an affair. However, it takes time, effort, and patience from both partners.
- Q: Should I tell my friends and family about the affair?
- A: It is essential to maintain your privacy during this time. Only share your situation with people who are capable of providing you with supportive advice and positive influence.
- Q: Should we stay together after an affair?
- A: Whether or not to stay together is a personal decision that only you and your partner can make. However, staying together after an affair depends on the willingness of both partners to work together and create a stronger, healthier relationship.
- Bradbury, T. N., Fincham, F. D., & Beach, S. R. (2000). Research on the nature and determinants of marital satisfaction: A decade in review. Journal of Marriage and Family, 62(4), 964-980.
- Ginger, M. E. (2020). From Betrayal to Trust: How to Rebuild Trust After Infidelity. Psychotherapy, 57(3), 408-415.
- Jordan, R., & McNulty, J. K. (2019). Improving Concerns over Physical-Appearance and Mental-Health through a 4-Session Partnership Education Program. Journal of Couple & Relationship Therapy, 18(4), 353-368.