Gummies are one of the most popular edible products in the market. They come in many different shapes, sizes, and flavors, making them a favorite among cannabis users. But keeping them fresh can be challenging, especially if they have been sitting on your shelf for too long. In this article, we will discuss different ways of storing your gummies to keep them fresh and prevent them from losing their potency.
Why Storing Gummies Properly is Important
Proper storage of your gummie products will help to prolong their shelf life and keep them fresh. It will also help to ensure that they maintain their potency, and the quality is not compromised. Storing them properly also makes sure that you get the desired effect when you consume them.
Factors That Affect Edible Gummies Shelf Life
- Light – Light exposure can cause gummies to degrade faster. It can lead to a reduction in their potency and affect their flavor and texture.
- Temperature – Storing your gummies at high temperatures can cause them to melt or stick together, leading to a reduction in quality, potency, and flavor.
- Air Exposure – Constant exposure to air can cause gummies to lose their moisture, harden or become stale, making them less enjoyable to consume.
The Best Way to Store Edible Gummies
Storing your gummies in a cool, dry, and dark place is the best way to keep them fresh and potent. Here are some ways to store your gummies:
1. In the Fridge
Storing gummies in the fridge can help to keep them fresh for a more extended period. It protects them from light exposure and helps to preserve the texture and flavor. Ensure that you keep them in an airtight container to prevent air exposure and moisture from ruining their quality.
2. In the Freezer
If you want to store your gummies for an extended period, you can freeze them. It helps to prevent them from melting or degrading faster. Before freezing, ensure that you put them in an airtight container or sealable bag to protect them from moisture and air exposure.
3. In the Pantry
If you want to store your gummies at room temperature, place them in a cool, dry, and dark place away from direct sunlight. Ensure that you keep them in an airtight container or packaging to prevent air exposure and moisture from affecting their quality.
How to Determine Gummy Shelf Life
The shelf life of gummies varies based on storage conditions, quality, and manufacturing processes. However, there are some signs you can look for to determine whether your gummies are still good to consume. Gummies that are not fresh may lose their potency, change in texture or color, and have an unusual odor.
Gummies Expiration Date
Some edibles come with an expiration date, while others do not. Check the packaging for the expiration date or contact the manufacturer to get an idea of how long their product will remain fresh.
Testing Gummies Potency
Some manufacturers test their gummies for potency, and you can ask for a certificate of analysis to confirm their potency levels. You can also test the potency level of your gummies at home using testing kits available in the market.
Tips for Storing Edible Gummies
Here are some additional tips for storing your gummy products:
1. Keep Them Away from Light
Light exposure can cause gummies to degrade faster. So, store them in a cool, dark place, such as a pantry, fridge, or freezer.
2. Keep Them Dry
Moisture can cause gummies to harden or become stale, making them less enjoyable to consume. Ensure that you store them in an airtight container or sealable bag to protect them from moisture.
3. Follow the Packaging Instructions
Most edibles come with packaging instructions on how to store them. Follow them carefully, and if there are no instructions, store them based on the above guidelines.
4. Don’t Store Them Near Heat Sources
Heat can cause gummies to melt or stick together, reducing their quality and potency. Avoid storing them near heat sources, such as a stove, oven, or direct sunlight.
Storing your gummies properly is critical to preserving their freshness, quality, and potency. The best way to store them is in a cool, dark, and dry place to prevent moisture, air exposure, and light from degrading them. Follow the guidelines mentioned above to enjoy your gummies to their fullest.
FAQs on Storing Edible Gummies
- How long do gummies last? Gummies’ shelf life varies based on storage conditions, quality, and manufacturing processes. Check the packaging for the expiration date or contact the manufacturer to get an idea of how long their product will remain fresh.
- How should I store my gummies? Store your gummies in a cool, dry, and dark place away from direct sunlight. An airtight container or sealable bag will protect them from air exposure and moisture.
- Can I freeze my gummies? Yes, you can freeze your gummies to increase their shelf life. Ensure that you put them in an airtight container or sealable bag to protect them from moisture and air exposure.
- Can I store gummies in the fridge? Yes, storing gummies in the fridge can help keep them fresh for a more extended period. Ensure that you keep them in an airtight container to prevent air exposure and moisture from ruining their quality.
- What affects gummies’ shelf life? Factors such as light, air exposure, and high temperatures can cause gummies to degrade faster, affecting their quality and potency.
- “How to Store Cannabis Infused Gummies – Skyhigh Organics.” Skyhigh Organics, 3 Mar. 2021, skyhighorganics.ca/how-to-store-cannabis-infused-gummies/.
- “5 Tips for Storing Your Cannabis Edibles.” The Cannigma, 21 May 2020, thecannigma.com/cannabis-news/storing-cannabis-edibles/.