Color treated hair can lose its shine and vibrancy over time, leaving you feeling dull and uninspired. Luckily, there are plenty of easy tricks you can use to highlight color treated hair like a pro. By following some simple steps and using the right products, you can enhance your color and bring your hair back to its former glory.
Step 1: Choose the Right Products
The first step to achieving vibrant, highlighted hair is to choose the right products for your hair type and color. Look for shampoos, conditioners, and styling products specifically designed for color treated hair. These products will help to protect your color and keep it looking fresh for longer.
Products to Look For:
- Gentle shampoos and conditioners with ingredients like keratin and argan oil to restore and strengthen hair
- Heat protectant sprays to shield hair from damage caused by styling tools
- Leave-in conditioners to help detangle hair and add moisture without weighing it down
- Hair masks and treatments to replenish lost nutrients and restore shine to dull, color-treated hair
Step 2: Avoid Hot Water and Heat Styling Tools
One of the biggest enemies of color treated hair is heat. Hot water and heat styling tools like straighteners and curling irons can cause hair to become dry and brittle, leading to breakage and loss of color. To protect your hair, avoid using hot water when washing your hair and try to limit your use of heat styling tools.
Tips to Protect Your Color:
- Use lukewarm water to wash your hair, as hot water can strip your hair of its natural oils and color
- Try air-drying your hair instead of using a blow dryer or use the cool setting on your blow dryer to minimize heat damage
- When using heat styling tools, always use a heat protectant spray to shield your hair from damage and keep it looking healthy
Step 3: Use Highlights to Enhance Your Color
If you’re looking to add some dimension and depth to your color treated hair, highlights can be a great option. Highlights are a type of hair coloring that involves lightening small sections of hair to create a multi-dimensional look.
Types of Highlights:
- Balayage: a freehand technique that involves painting highlights onto the hair for a natural look
- Full Highlights: highlights that cover the entire head for a more dramatic effect
- Partial Highlights: highlights that only cover a portion of the head, such as the crown or the front sections
Step 4: Experiment with Hair Accessories
If you’re not quite ready to commit to highlights or you’re looking for a temporary way to enhance your color treated hair, hair accessories can be a fun and easy option. There are a variety of accessories available that can add sparkle, color, and texture to your hair.
Types of Hair Accessories:
- Hair Clips: a simple but effective way to add color or texture to your hair
- Headbands: perfect for adding a pop of color or a touch of glamour to any hairstyle
- Hair Jewelry: gives your hair a touch of elegance and sparkle for a special occasion
Step 5: Schedule Regular Haircuts
Regular haircuts are essential for keeping color treated hair looking fresh and healthy. Over time, split ends and breakage can cause color to fade and leave hair looking dull. Scheduling regular haircuts can help to keep your hair looking its best and prevent damage from becoming too severe.
Tips for Maintaining Healthy Hair:
- Visit your hairstylist every 6-8 weeks to keep your hair in top condition
- Avoid overusing styling products, as they can weigh hair down and cause damage
- Eat a balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals to promote healthy hair from the inside out
Highlighting color treated hair can be a fun and easy way to add dimension and depth to your color. By following these simple steps and experimenting with different products and styles, you can help your hair to look its best and preserve your color for longer.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: Can I highlight my own color treated hair at home?
- A: While it is possible to highlight your own hair at home, it can be tricky and may result in damage or uneven color. It is always best to seek the advice of a professional hairstylist.
- Q: How do I know which products are best for my color treated hair?
- A: Look for products that are specifically designed for color treated hair and contain ingredients like keratin and argan oil to nourish and restore your hair.
- Q: How often should I get my color treated hair highlighted?
- A: The frequency of highlighting depends on the individual and their specific hair needs. Generally, highlights should be touched up every 6-8 weeks to maintain a fresh and vibrant look.
- Q: Can heat styling tools damage my color treated hair?
- A: Yes, heat styling tools can damage color treated hair by causing dryness and breakage. To protect your hair, use a heat protectant spray and try to limit your use of heat styling tools as much as possible.
3. https://www.matrix.com/~/media/matrix us media library/blogs/2019holidayamp-2020trendlookbooktrendreport_finalrevwithtoc.p