Having thin and lifeless hair can be a source of insecurity for many men. Fortunately, there are several ways to add volume to your hair without resorting to expensive hair loss treatments or drastic measures like hair transplants. In this article, we will go over some of the best practices for volumizing men’s hair.
Find the right haircut
The first step to getting fuller hair is to find a haircut that suits your hair type and face shape. Shorter haircuts tend to work better for fine hair since it creates the illusion of more hair density. For instance, a buzz cut or a crew cut is an excellent choice for men with thinning hair. It’s important to get your hair cut by a professional hairdresser who can advise you on the best style for your hair.
Use the right products
The right hair products can make all the difference in adding volume to your hair. Look for products specifically formulated for thinning hair, such as volumizing shampoos, root boosters, and volumizing sprays. These products contain ingredients that help to lift the hair at the roots, creating the appearance of thicker hair. Avoid heavy styling products like waxes or pomades, as they can weigh your hair down and make it look even thinner.
Volumizing shampoos and conditioners
Volumizing shampoos and conditioners often contain ingredients like keratin, collagen, and biotin, which help to strengthen and thicken the hair shaft. These products coat the hair strands, making them appear thicker and fuller. It’s important to use these products consistently to see results.
Root boosters and volumizing sprays
Root boosters and volumizing sprays are designed to add volume to the roots of your hair. These products work by lifting the hair away from the scalp and creating a fuller, thicker appearance. Some of the best products for this purpose include mousse, foam, and dry shampoo.
Blow-dry your hair
Blow-drying your hair is an effective way to add volume and body to your hair. The key is to use a low-heat setting and a diffuser attachment to add volume without damaging your hair. Start by drying your hair from the roots to the tips, moving the hairdryer in a circular motion to lift your hair away from your scalp.
Get the right hairstyle
The right hairstyle can go a long way in adding volume to your hair. Here are some tips on how to style your hair for maximum volume:
- Use a comb or your fingers to lift your hair at the roots while blow-drying.
- Consider a messy, textured hairstyle that creates the illusion of more hair.
- Opt for a side part or a quiff, which can create the appearance of more volume at the top of your head.
- Avoid slicked-back hairstyles or anything that lies flat against your head, as this can accentuate thinning hair.
Use the right tools
The right styling tools can also make a difference in creating voluminous hair. Here are some tools to consider:
An oval brush is ideal for blow-drying your hair as it helps to lift the hair at the roots while providing a smooth finish. Choose a brush with boar bristles or nylon bristles, which are gentle on your hair and scalp.
A vent brush is ideal for creating volume as it allows air to flow through the brush, providing maximum lift and body. Use the brush to lift your hair at the roots while blow-drying.
A round brush is another great tool for creating volume. Choose a large barrel size for maximum lift, and use the brush to curl your hair away from your face for a more voluminous look.
Healthy hair habits
Finally, it’s essential to maintain healthy hair habits to promote hair growth and prevent further thinning. Here are some habits to consider:
- Eat a balanced diet that includes plenty of protein, which is essential for healthy hair growth.
- Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol consumption, which can contribute to hair loss.
- Wear a hat or sunscreen to protect your scalp from sun damage, which can lead to hair thinning.
- Get regular haircuts to keep your hair healthy and prevent split ends.
- Avoid tight hairstyles like braids or ponytails that pull on your hair and cause damage.
By following these tips, you can add volume and fullness to your hair without resorting to expensive treatments or surgery. Remember to find the right haircut, use the right products, blow-dry your hair, choose the right hairstyle and tools, and maintain healthy hair habits.
- Q: Can I use hair gel to add volume?
- A: While hair gel can help create a textured, messy look, it’s not the best product for adding volume. Hair gel can weigh down your hair and make it look even flatter. Consider using a volumizing spray or root booster instead.
- Q: Can I still use hair wax if I have thinning hair?
- A: Hair wax can be used sparingly on thinning hair, but it’s not the best product for adding volume. Wax can clump your hair together, making it look even thinner. Consider using a lightweight pomade or hair spray instead.
- Q: Can I color my hair to make it look thicker?
- A: Coloring your hair can create the illusion of more hair density, but it’s not a long-term solution. Regular hair coloring can damage your hair and lead to further hair loss. Consider using a hair thickening powder or spray for a temporary fix.