Soft hands are a dream of all! But, with our busy schedules and lack of time, our hands tend to get rough and dry. Moreover, with the excessive use of chemicals, washing with harsh soaps, and constant exposure to the sun, our hands easily lose their natural moisture and become dry and rough.
Thankfully, there are some simple ways to get soft, smooth, and supple hands. Keep on reading this article to discover some amazing tips for soft hands!
1. Moisturize your hands regularly
Moisturizing your hands is an essential step towards getting soft and smooth hands. Applying a good hand cream, at least 2-3 times a day, helps to seal in the moisture and hydrate your skin. Choose a hand cream that contains emollients like shea butter, glycerin, or natural oils like almond oil, argan oil, or jojoba oil. These ingredients help to moisturize and nourish your skin and keep it hydrated for longer.
2. Protect your hands from the sun
UV rays from the sun can cause damage, dryness, and premature aging of your hands. Therefore, it is crucial to protect your hands from the sun’s harmful effects. Wear gloves, cover your hands with clothing, or apply a good sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher, whenever you are outdoors. This helps to protect your hands from sun damage and keep them soft and supple.
3. Avoid washing with hot water
Washing your hands with hot water can strip off the natural oils from your skin, leaving it dry and rough. Therefore, it is advisable to use lukewarm water, instead of hot water, to wash your hands. Also, avoid frequent washing with harsh soaps as they can further dry out your skin. Use a mild, moisturizing soap, or a soap-free hand wash to clean your hands.
4. Exfoliate your hands
Exfoliating your hands helps to remove the dead, dry skin cells and promotes the growth of new, healthy skin cells. You can use a gentle scrub or make a DIY scrub using natural ingredients like sugar, salt, honey, or oatmeal. Take a small amount of scrub, apply it on your hands, and massage gently in circular motions, focusing on the rough areas. Rinse off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
5. Use natural remedies
There are several natural ingredients that can work wonders in softening your hands. Here are some of the best natural remedies for soft hands-
- Coconut Oil – Apply coconut oil on your hands, massage gently, and leave it on overnight. It helps to moisturize your skin and make it soft and supple.
- Aloe Vera – Apply fresh aloe vera gel on your hands, leave it on for 15-20 minutes, and rinse off with water. Aloe vera contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that soothe and moisturize your skin.
- Milk and Honey – Mix 1 tablespoon of honey in 1 cup of milk and soak your hands in it for 10-15 minutes. Milk contains lactic acid that acts as a natural exfoliant, while honey is a natural humectant that helps to retain moisture in your skin.
6. Eat a healthy diet
What you eat greatly affects your skin. Foods rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants help to nourish your skin from within and make it soft and supple. Include foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and seeds in your diet. Also, drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated.
7. Massage your hands
A gentle massage can do wonders in relaxing your hands, improving blood circulation, and hydrating your skin. You can use a good hand cream or natural oils like olive oil, almond oil, or coconut oil to massage your hands. Take a small amount of oil or cream, warm it up between your palms, and massage gently in circular motions, focusing on the rough areas.
8. Avoid harsh chemicals
Avoid using products that contain harsh chemicals, like alcohol, sulfates, and fragrances, as they can irritate and dry out your skin. Also, wear gloves while cleaning, washing dishes, or doing any task that involves the use of chemicals.
9. Don’t bite your nails
Biting your nails not only damages your nails but also makes your hands look rough and unattractive. It also introduces germs and bacteria to your mouth and increases the risk of infections. Therefore, avoid biting your nails and keep them trimmed and neat.
10. Visit a dermatologist
If you have a skin condition like eczema or psoriasis, it is advisable to consult a dermatologist. They can prescribe you the right medication and suggest skincare products that suit your skin type and condition.
Soft hands are not hard to achieve if you follow these simple tips. Moisturizing your hands regularly, protecting them from the sun, avoiding hot water, exfoliating, using natural remedies, eating a healthy diet, massaging your hands, avoiding harsh chemicals, and not biting your nails, all help in making your hands soft, smooth, and supple.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q. How often should I moisturize my hands? A. You should moisturize your hands at least 2-3 times a day.
- Q. Which hand cream is best for dry hands? A. Hand creams that contain emollients like shea butter, glycerin, or natural oils like almond oil, argan oil, or jojoba oil are best for dry hands.
- Q. Can exfoliating damage my skin? A. Over-exfoliating or using harsh scrubs can damage your skin. It is advisable to use a gentle exfoliant and exfoliate your hands once or twice a week.
- Q. What should I do if I have extremely dry and rough hands? A. If you have extremely dry and rough hands, you can apply a thick layer of petroleum jelly or coconut oil on your hands, wear gloves, and leave it on overnight. This helps to seal in the moisture and keep your hands soft and supple.
“How to get Soft Hands at Home.” Bellatory, 2021, bellatory.com/hygiene-grooming/How-to-Get-Soft-Hands-at-Home.
“5 Natural Remedies for Soft and Supple Hands.” Times of India, 2021, timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/beauty/5-natural-remedies-for-soft-and-supple-hands/articleshow/61876425.cms.
“Soft Hands: Soothing Tips for Rough, Dry Skin.” WebMD, 2021, webmd.com/beauty/features/soft-hands-soothing-tips-for-rough-dry-skin.