Are you looking for a fun and unconventional way to dye your hair? Look no further than Sharpie markers! With a few simple steps, you can unleash your inner rebel and rock brightly colored locks. Here’s how to dye hair with Sharpie:
What You’ll Need
Before we get started, let’s make sure you have everything you need:
- A few Sharpie markers in your desired colors
- A spray bottle filled with rubbing alcohol
- A comb
- Disposable gloves
Preparing Your Hair
Before you start dyeing, you’ll need to prep your hair. Follow these steps:
- Wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo to remove any excess oils or buildup.
- Comb your hair out to detangle it.
- Apply a generous amount of conditioner to your hair and comb it through thoroughly. This will help protect your hair from damage and make it easier to wash out the Sharpie later.
Creating the Dye
Now it’s time to create your Sharpie hair dye:
- Put on your disposable gloves to protect your hands.
- Select your desired Sharpie colors and remove the caps.
- Take the tip of the Sharpie and press it directly onto the spray bottle nozzle.
- Pump the spray bottle a few times to saturate the Sharpie ink into the rubbing alcohol.
- Repeat this step with as many Sharpies as you like, making sure to only use colors that are safe for hair use (avoid using Sharpies that contain toxic chemicals).
Applying the Dye
Now that your dye is ready, it’s time to apply it to your hair:
- Section your hair into manageable pieces.
- Starting with one section, hold the spray bottle about 3-4 inches away from your hair and spritz it with the dye.
- Use your fingers to work the dye into your hair, making sure to distribute it evenly.
- Repeat this process with all of your hair, making sure to cover every strand.
Letting It Set
After you’ve applied the dye, you’ll need to let it set:
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or plastic wrap to prevent the dye from drying out.
- Leave the dye on for at least 1-2 hours (the longer you leave it on, the more vibrant your color will be).
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with warm water until the water runs clear.
- Apply a deep conditioner to your hair to restore moisture and prevent damage.
Caring for Your Vibrant Locks
Now that you’ve dyed your hair with Sharpie, it’s important to take care of it properly:
- Avoid washing your hair too frequently, as this can cause your color to fade.
- Use sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners to maintain your color.
- Avoid using heat-styling tools, as these can also cause your color to fade.
- If you want to touch up your color, simply reapply the Sharpie dye as needed.
While dyeing your hair with Sharpie can be a fun and creative way to express yourself, it’s important to take some safety precautions:
- Only use Sharpies that are labeled as safe for use on skin or hair.
- Avoid using Sharpies that contain toxic chemicals.
- Wear disposable gloves to protect your hands from the dye.
- Perform a patch test on a small area of your skin before applying the dye to your entire head.
The Bottom Line
Dyeing your hair with Sharpie is a fun and unconventional way to express yourself. With a few simple steps, you can achieve vibrant and long-lasting color that is sure to turn heads. Just be sure to take some safety precautions and care for your hair properly to keep your color looking fresh and vibrant.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about dyeing hair with Sharpies:
Is it safe to dye your hair with Sharpies?
Dyeing your hair with Sharpies can be safe as long as you use Sharpies that are labeled as safe for use on skin or hair and avoid using Sharpies that contain toxic chemicals. It’s also important to take some safety precautions, such as wearing gloves and performing a patch test.
How long does Sharpie hair dye last?
The length of time that Sharpie hair dye lasts can vary depending on factors such as your hair type and how you care for your hair. Generally, it can last for several weeks to a few months.
Can you dye dark hair with Sharpies?
Yes, you can dye dark hair with Sharpies. However, the color may not show up as vibrantly as it would on lighter hair, and you may need to apply more coats to achieve your desired color.
How do you remove Sharpie hair dye?
Sharpie hair dye can be difficult to remove, especially if it has been left on for a long time. You can try washing your hair with clarifying shampoo, using a mixture of baking soda and water, or using a hair color remover. If all else fails, you may need to wait for the dye to fade naturally or get a haircut to remove it.
Can you dye your eyebrows with Sharpies?
No, you should not dye your eyebrows with Sharpies. The ink can be harmful if it gets into your eyes or on your skin, and it can also cause skin irritation or an allergic reaction.
What are some alternative ways to dye your hair without using harsh chemicals?
If you’re looking for alternative ways to dye your hair without using harsh chemicals, you can try using natural dyes such as henna or indigo, or using lemon juice and sunlight to lighten your hair.