If you are looking to enhance your hair by adding some highlights, the cap method is an easy and popular way to achieve that at home. While it may seem daunting at first, you can learn the cap highlights technique and execute it like a professional with just a few tips and tricks. In this article, we will guide you through the steps necessary to get the cap highlights done right.
What Are Cap Highlights?
Cap highlights are a form of hair highlighting where a cap with tiny holes is used to pull strands of hair through it. They usually create natural and subtle highlights that look very much like sun-kissed hair. This technique is also useful when you want to add streaks of color to your hair without dyeing the whole head.
What Are the Benefits of Cap Highlights?
Cap highlights come with several benefits:
- Cost-effective: They are relatively inexpensive compared to other highlighting methods.
- DIY-friendly: You can do them at home without professional assistance.
- Natural-looking: They create subtle and natural-looking highlights.
- Minimal damage: They cause minimal damage to hair compared to other coloring methods.
What Tools and Materials Do You Need for Cap Highlights?
Before starting, make sure you have the following tools and materials:
- Highlighting cap
- Crocodile clips
- Highlighting hook or needle
- Lightening powder
- Bowl for mixing
- Shampoo and conditioner
What Is the Process for Cap Highlights?
Step 1: Choosing the Right Cap Size
The cap should fit tightly on your head and should not slide around while you are pulling strands through the holes. If the cap is too loose, it may cause uneven highlights or even damage your hair. To choose the right cap size, measure the circumference of your head and compare the measurement with the cap size chart.
Step 2: Preparing Your Hair
Start by washing and drying your hair. Apply conditioner to untangle knots and make the hair smooth. Do not apply any styling products as they can interfere with the highlighting process. Wrap a towel around your shoulders to protect your clothes from lightening powder.
Step 3: Placing the Cap on Your Head
Put the cap over your head and make sure it is snug. Secure the cap in place with the clips provided in the kit. Make sure the cap is flat against your head to prevent pulling hair from the roots. Once you are satisfied with the fit, fasten the clip under your chin to prevent the cap from sliding around.
Step 4: Pulling Strands Through the Holes
Take the highlighting hook or needle and insert it through one of the holes in the cap. Hook a small section of hair that you want to highlight and pull it through the hole. Repeat this process until you have pulled enough hair strands through the cap.
Step 5: Mixing the Lightening Powder and Developer
Follow the instructions written on the hair lightening kit and mix the lightening powder and the developer. Mix enough to cover all the strands that you pulled through the cap. Wear gloves to protect your hands from the bleach.
Step 6: Applying the Lightener
Apply the lightening mixture to the strands of hair that are poking through the cap. Make sure you cover all the strands evenly to prevent uneven highlighting. Follow the kit instructions to know how long you should keep the lightener on the hair.
Step 7: Rinsing and Washing
Once the lightener has done its job, rinse your hair with lukewarm water. Make sure you get all the lightener out of your hair. Apply a conditioner to get rid of any tangles and make your hair soft. Rinse again and style the hair as you want it.
How to Take Care of Your Highlighted Hair?
After you have highlighted your hair, you need to take extra care of your hair to make it healthy and shiny. Here are some tips:
- Use a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner to protect the highlight color from fading.
- Avoid hot tools that may damage the hair, which can also damage the highlight color.
- Use hair masks to keep hair moisturized and avoid breakage
- Trim hair regularly to maintain healthy hair and get rid of split ends.
Cap highlights are an easy, budget-friendly way to add some dimension to your hair. By following the steps above, you can create subtle and natural-looking highlights that give your hair a sun-kissed appearance. After you are done, remember to take care of your highlighted hair with sulfate-free shampoos, hair masks, trimming, and other measures to keep it healthy and vibrant.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: How long do cap highlights last?
- A: Cap highlights can last for 6-8 weeks, depending on your hair growth.
- Q: Can I use the cap highlighting technique on any hair type?
- A: Yes, you can use the cap highlighting technique on all hair types, including curly or straight hair.
- Q: Can I highlight my hair at home?
- A: Yes, you can highlight your hair at home with the right tools and technique.
- Q: How many shades lighter can I go with cap highlights?
- A: Cap highlighting can lighten your hair up to 4-5 shades.
Powell, J. (2014, November 12). DIY Hair: How to Use a Hair Highlighting Cap. In LiveAbout. https://www.liveabout.com/how-to-use-a-hair-highlighting-cap-346598
Kantor, J. (2021, March 10). Cap Highlights: Everything You Need to Know About This Classic Coloring Technique. In Mane Addicts. https://maneaddicts.com/cap-highlights/