When it comes to cutting hair at home, many people may be intimidated by the process. However, with the right tools and techniques, cutting your hair with scissors can be a breeze. In this foolproof guide, we will go through step-by-step how to cut your hair with scissors, including the equipment needed, different cutting techniques, and tips for achieving the perfect cut.
The first step to cutting your hair with scissors is to gather all of the necessary equipment. This includes:
- Sharp scissors
- Comb or brush
- Clips or hair ties
- Clean towel
It’s important to use sharp scissors as dull ones can create uneven cuts and split ends. A comb or brush will help you section your hair and create a clean and even part. Clips or hair ties will help you secure the rest of your hair while you work on one section at a time. A mirror will allow you to see the back of your head and ensure a symmetrical cut. Lastly, a clean towel will help you catch any loose hairs.
Sectioning Your Hair
The next step is to section your hair. This will make it easier to work on one section at a time and achieve a more even cut. To do this:
- Start by dividing your hair in half, splitting it down the middle as if you were creating pigtails.
- Clip or tie the top half of your hair up and out of the way.
- Divide the bottom half of your hair into two sections, one on each side of your head.
- Clip or tie one of the sections up and out of the way.
Creating the First Cut
Now that your hair is sectioned off, it’s time to start cutting. Follow these simple steps to create the first cut:
- Take a small section of hair from the bottom that you just divided.
- Hold it between your fingers at the length that you want to cut it. For example, if you want to cut 1 inch off, hold the hair at the 1-inch mark.
- Use your scissors to cut straight across the hair. Start at the middle of the hair section and work your way out towards the outer edges of the section.
- Repeat this process on the other section of hair on the bottom half of your head.
Cutting the Top Half of Your Hair
Now that you have finished cutting the bottom half of your hair, it’s time to move on to the top half. Follow these steps to create a layered look:
- Take a small section of hair from the top of your head.
- Hold the section of hair between your fingers and bring it over to the front of your head.
- Using your scissors, cut the hair at a slight angle, about 1 inch shorter than the overall length of your hair.
- Continue this process with small sections of hair, moving from the front of your head to the back.
- For a longer layered look, cut larger sections of hair and use a more gradual angle.
Trimming Your Bangs
If you have bangs, you may need to trim them as well. Follow these steps for a perfect bang trim:
- Take a small section of your bangs and comb it forward.
- Hold the hair between your fingers at the length you want it to be.
- Using your scissors, make small vertical cuts to create texture and movement.
- Continue this process with small sections of your bangs until they are the desired length and have the desired texture.
- Remember to trim as little as possible, as it’s easy to make a mistake and cut too much.
Tips for a Perfect Cut
Now that you know how to cut your hair with scissors, here are some tips to ensure a perfect cut:
- Start by cutting less hair than you think you need to. You can always go back and cut more if needed.
- Take your time and only cut a little bit at a time.
- Use sharp scissors to create a clean and even cut.
- Cut your hair when it’s dry, as wet hair can appear longer and can be more difficult to cut evenly.
- Focus on creating layers to add dimension and movement to your overall look.
- Don’t forget to trim your split ends to keep your hair healthy and looking its best.
Cutting your own hair may seem daunting at first, but with the right tools and techniques, it can be a fun and rewarding experience. Remember to take your time, cut a little at a time, and focus on creating layers for an overall polished look. With these tips and tricks, you’ll be cutting your hair like a pro in no time.
Common Questions and Answers
- Can I cut my hair with kitchen scissors? It’s best to avoid using kitchen scissors as they are not designed for cutting hair and can create uneven cuts and split ends.
- How often should I trim my hair? It’s recommended to trim your hair every 6-8 weeks to keep it healthy and prevent split ends.
- What should I do if I make a mistake while cutting my hair? Don’t panic! It’s best to step away and take a break. You can always go back and fix it with scissors or seek professional help if needed.
- Can I use thinning scissors to cut my hair? Thinning scissors are great for removing bulk and creating texture, but should be used with caution as they can create uneven cuts and should only be used by experienced stylists.