Long nails can be a beautiful and glamorous addition to your look, but they can also present some unique challenges when it comes to completing everyday tasks. From typing on a keyboard to buttoning a shirt, having long nails can make some tasks more difficult than they need to be.
If you’re tired of struggling with everyday tasks because of your long nails, don’t worry – there are plenty of tips and tricks you can use to conquer even the most mundane tasks with ease. In this article, we’ll share some of our favorite tips for how to do things with long nails.
Keep Your Nails Clean
One of the keys to being able to do things with long nails is keeping them clean. Dirty nails can make it difficult to grip things or cause your nails to break or chip easily. You can keep your nails clean by:
- Washing your hands regularly to remove dirt and debris
- Using a nail brush to gently scrub under your nails
- Avoiding using your nails to scrape or pry things
File Your Nails Regularly
Long nails can be difficult to control, especially if they’re uneven or jagged. To make it easier to do things with your nails, make sure to file them regularly. You can use a nail file to shape your nails to your preference and smooth any rough edges.
Practice Typing with Long Nails
Typing can be a challenge with long nails, but with a little bit of practice, you can become a pro. Here are some tips for typing with long nails:
- Use the pads of your fingertips to hit the keys, not the tips of your nails
- Use a light touch when typing to avoid hitting the keys too hard
- Try using a keyboard cover to reduce the noise from hitting the keys
Tie Your Hair Back
If you have long hair, you know that it can get in the way of just about everything. This is especially true when you have long nails. To make it easier to do things with your nails, tie your hair back so that it’s out of your face and won’t get in the way of what you’re doing.
Use the Pads of Your Fingers
When you have long nails, it can be tempting to use the tips of your nails for everything. But this is actually the opposite of what you should do. Using the tips of your nails can make it harder to grip things or apply pressure when you need to. Instead, try using the pads of your fingers to do things like open a doorknob or press a button.
Invest in Tools
There are plenty of tools out there that can help make it easier to do things with long nails. For example, you can use a nail-friendly tool to open cans or bottles, or invest in a pair of long-nose pliers to help you grip and manipulate small objects.
Practice Applying Makeup with Long Nails
Applying makeup can be a bit of a challenge with long nails. But with a little bit of practice, you can master the technique. Here are some tips for applying makeup with long nails:
- Use the pads of your fingers to apply eyeshadow and blush, not the tips of your nails
- Use a makeup brush to apply liquid foundation or concealer
- Avoid using your nails to remove mascara or eyeliner – instead, use a cotton swab or makeup wipe
Getting Dressed with Long Nails
Getting dressed can be a challenge with long nails, especially if you’re trying to put on a tight-fitting or button-down shirt. Here are some tips for getting dressed with long nails:
- Use a button hook to help you button up your shirt
- Avoid tight-fitting clothes that may be difficult to put on or take off
- Use a fabric loop to help you pull up your pants or skirt
Cleaning Your Home with Long Nails
Keeping your home clean and tidy can be a bit of a challenge with long nails, especially if you’re trying to scrub or clean small corners. Here are some tips for cleaning your home with long nails:
- Invest in a scrub brush with a long handle to help you reach small corners
- Use a microfiber cloth to dust surfaces without scratching them
- Use a vacuum with a HEPA filter to keep dust and debris under control
Gardening with Long Nails
Getting out in the garden can be a great way to relax and unwind, but it can be a bit of a challenge with long nails. Here are some tips for gardening with long nails:
- Invest in a pair of gardening gloves to protect your nails and skin
- Use a trowel with a comfortable grip to avoid putting too much pressure on your nails
- Avoid using your nails to dig or cut – instead, use the right tools for the job
Having long nails doesn’t have to be a hindrance – with a little bit of practice and some helpful tools, you can conquer even the most mundane tasks with ease. By keeping your nails clean, filing them regularly, and using the pads of your fingers, you’ll be able to make the most of your long nails and look great while doing it.
- Q: Can I still use my touchscreen device with long nails?
- A: Yes, you can definitely still use your touchscreen device with long nails. Try using the pads of your fingers instead of the tips of your nails, and consider investing in a touchscreen stylus if you find it difficult to type or scroll using your fingers.
- Q: Will having long nails make it harder to do things like washing dishes or cleaning?
- A: It’s possible that having long nails could make these tasks a bit more difficult, but there are plenty of workarounds to make things easier. Try wearing gloves to protect your nails and skin while washing dishes, and use tools like a scrub brush or microfiber cloth to clean surfaces without putting too much pressure on your nails.
- Q: How often should I file my nails?
- A: This really depends on your nail growth and personal preference. However, we generally recommend filing your nails at least once a week to keep them smooth and even.
1. “Tips for Typing with Long Nails.” Brettyoungerman.com, 26 March 2021, https://www.brettyoungerman.com/2021/03/26/tips-for-typing-with-long-nails/
2. “How to Do Things with Long Nails.” Cosmopolitan.com, 6 August 2019, https://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/advice/a28725/everyday-things-to-do-with-long-nails/
3. “How to Clean Your House with Long Nails.” Housewifehowtos.com, https://housewifehowtos.com/clean/how-to-clean-with-long-nails/