Humidity, we all love the summer season but not the sticky feeling it brings along, especially when it comes to hair. With the increase in humidity levels, maintaining a straight hairdo becomes a bit of a challenge. This annoying problem, however, does not have to be a constant battle. In this article, we will be discussing tips and tricks on how to beat the frizz and keep your hair straight in high humidity situations.
What Causes Frizz?
Before diving into the ways to combat frizz, let’s understand the root causes of it. Frizz is caused when your hair is dehydrated, and the cuticle is raised, allowing moisture to penetrate and swell the hair shaft. Our bodies are made up of 60% water, so it is essential to keep ourselves hydrated. Like our bodies, our hair needs to be hydrated too. In high humidity, it is challenging to maintain hydration levels, leading to frizz in the hair.
Hair Type and Styling Tools
When it comes to frizz, hair type plays an important role. People with wavy or curly hair have more porous hair, which allows moisture to penetrate more quickly, leading to frizz. Straight hair types can also face the problem of frizz when exposed to high humidity levels. However, to combat this problem, a few styling tools can come in handy.
The use of flat irons
Using a flat iron to straighten the hair may seem like an obvious solution, but it can do more harm than good if not used correctly. Always use a heat protectant spray before using a flat iron to avoid any heat damage to your hair. Additionally, using the right temperature setting on the flat iron is crucial. Using high temperatures can cause hair damage and uneven heat distribution, leading to frizz.
Blow-drying your hair can be a quick fix, but it can sometimes add to the frizz problem. Always use a heat protectant spray before blow-drying your hair. Also, try to keep the blow dryer at a distance while drying your hair to prevent heat damage. Lastly, use a cool shot button at the end of the blow-dry to cool down the hair and reduce frizz.
Hair straightening treatments
Hair straightening treatments such as keratin treatments, hair rebonding or Japanese hair straightening can be an excellent solution for those dealing with high humidity levels. However, these treatments can be expensive and time-consuming, so it’s essential to weigh the pros and cons before opting for them. These treatments can have long-lasting effects but can also cause hair damage.
Hair Care Routine
The key to keeping your hair straight in high humidity is by having a hair care routine that suits your hair type. Here are some hair care routines that can help you combat frizz:
Use of anti-frizz products
There are many anti-frizz products available in the market. These products can work wonders when used regularly. Look for products that contain glycerin, coconut oil or silicone, which can help trap in moisture and prevent frizz. Use them as instructed and don’t go overboard.
Avoid washing your hair too often
Washing your hair too often can strip it of its natural oils, leading to dryness and frizz. Instead, try to extend the time between shampoos. Use a dry shampoo on second-day hair to avoid any oily appearance.
Avoiding hair products that contain alcohol
Hair products that contain alcohol can dry out your hair, leading to frizz. Always read the labels of your hair products, and avoid ones that contain alcohol.
Deep conditioning treatments
Deep conditioning treatments can help restore moisture to your hair. Look for treatments that contain natural ingredients like honey or shea butter. They can help manage frizz and give your hair a lustrous shine.
Hairstyles for Humid Weather
Hairstyles can also play a crucial role in managing frizz. Here are some hairstyles that work well in humid weather:
Braids can help keep your hair tamed even in the most humid conditions. French braids, fishtails or a simple braid can be a great option.
Topknots or low buns can also be a great option. They keep your hair away from your face and prevent frizz from taking over your hairdo.
A high or low ponytail can also be a lifesaver. To avoid hair damage, use elastic bands that are gentle on your hair and avoid tying your hair too tight.
Frizz can be a challenging problem to deal with, especially in high humidity levels. However, with the right hair care routine, styling tools and hairstyles, you can manage it well. Keep in mind the hair type, follow the right hair care routine and style your hair the right way. Remember, prevention is better than cure.
- Q. Does blow-drying your hair cause frizz?
- A. Blow-drying your hair can sometimes add to the frizz problem, but it can also be a quick fix. Always use a heat protectant spray before blow-drying your hair, use the right temperature and keep it at a distance.
- Q. Can hair straightening treatments cause hair damage?
- A. Hair straightening treatments like keratin treatments, hair rebonding or Japanese hair straightening can have long-lasting effects, but they can also cause hair damage. It is best to weigh the pros and cons before opting for them.
- Q. Can anti-frizz products help manage frizz?
- A. Yes, anti-frizz products can help manage frizz. Look for products that contain glycerin, coconut oil or silicone. Use them as instructed and don’t go overboard.
- Q. Can braids prevent frizz?
- A. Yes, braids can help keep your hair tamed even in the most humid conditions. French braids, fishtails or a simple braid can be a great option.
- Nicehair.org. 2021. How To Get Rid Of Frizz: Causes & Remedies. [Source]
- Paulthekeeper.com. 2021. How To Keep Hair Straight In Humidity. [Source]
- Huffpost.com. 2011. Summer Hair Care: How to Deal With Frizz. [Source]
- Garnierusa.com. 2021. How to Stay Frizz-Free in Humid Weather | Hair Care Tips | Garnier. [Source]