Tanning lotions are a great way to get that sun-kissed glow without the risk of sunburn. However, applying tanning lotion can be tricky and can leave you with splotches or uneven skin tone. Here are some tips on how to apply tanning lotion like a pro!
Preparation is Key
Before you start applying tanning lotion, it is important to prepare your skin. Here are some steps you should take:
Use a gentle exfoliating scrub to remove any dead skin cells. This will ensure that the tanning lotion goes on evenly and doesn’t cling to dry patches. Pay extra attention to your knees, elbows, ankles, and any other rough areas.
Shave or Wax
Remove any unwanted hair at least 24 hours before applying tanning lotion. This will prevent the lotion from pooling around hair follicles and causing dark spots.
Apply a light moisturizer to your skin, paying extra attention to your elbows and knees. This will prevent the tanning lotion from settling into fine lines and wrinkles or creases.
Now that you have prepped your skin, it’s time to apply the tanning lotion. Here are some techniques that will ensure a flawless application:
Start at Your Feet
Start applying the tanning lotion at your feet and work your way up your body. This will prevent creases from forming as you bend down to apply the lotion.
Use a Mitt or Applicator
Using a mitt or applicator will help you apply the lotion smoothly and evenly, and will prevent your palms from turning orange. Apply the lotion in circular motions, blending the edges as you go.
Less is More
Start with a small amount of tanning lotion and add more as needed. It’s easier to build up color than it is to remove excess lotion.
Pay Attention to Difficult Areas
Use a small amount of lotion on your hands, feet, and face. These areas tend to absorb more lotion and can turn out darker than the rest of your body. Be sure to blend carefully.
Once you have applied the tanning lotion, there are a few things you should do to ensure a long-lasting, even tan:
Wait to Get Dressed
Wait at least 10 minutes before you get dressed to give the lotion time to dry. Wearing loose, dark clothing will also prevent the lotion from staining your clothes.
Avoid water and sweating for at least 6 hours after applying the tanning lotion. Water can cause the lotion to streak or fade.
Apply a light moisturizer to your skin daily, especially after showering or swimming. This will help your tan last longer and prevent it from fading unevenly.
Common Questions and Answers
- Q: Can I apply tanning lotion on my face?
- A: Yes, but be sure to use a tanning lotion specifically designed for the face, and avoid the eye area.
- Q: How long will my tan last?
- A: Your tan will last about 4-7 days, depending on your skin type and how well you take care of your skin.
- Q: Can I shower after applying tanning lotion?
- A: Wait at least 6 hours before showering to ensure that the tanning lotion has fully developed.
- Q: Can I go swimming after applying tanning lotion?
- A: Wait at least 6 hours before swimming to ensure that the tanning lotion has fully developed. It’s also a good idea to wear a waterproof sunscreen over your lotion to protect your skin.
Now that you know how to apply tanning lotion like a pro, you can enjoy a sun-kissed glow all year round!