Are you someone who is always monitoring your calorie intake? Do you have a weakness for cheese pizza and want to know just how much you’re consuming? Then you’ve come to the right place! In this article, we’ll answer the question that’s been on your mind – how many calories are in a small cheese pizza?
It’s important to keep track of your food intake, especially if you’re trying to lose weight, maintain a healthy weight or have certain health conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol. So, let’s dive in and uncover the number of calories hiding in your favorite slice of cheese pizza!
What is a small cheese pizza?
Before we talk about its calorie count, let’s define what we mean by a ‘small cheese pizza’. A small pizza can vary from restaurant to restaurant or if you make it at home. A typical small pizza is around 10-12 inches in diameter, with a thin or regular crust and topped with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese.
The number of calories in a small cheese pizza
So, how many calories are in a small cheese pizza? According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), a small slice of cheese pizza weighing approximately 93 grams (3.28 oz) contains around 236 calories. This number can vary depending on the toppings and crust thickness, but we’ll get to that later.
Calories in the crust
The crust of a pizza can vary from thin and crispy to thick and chewy. The thickness of the crust can have a significant effect on the overall calorie count of the pizza. For instance, a thin slice of pizza has around 150-200 calories, while a thick slice can have as much as 400 calories! A regular crust slice of small cheese pizza typically contains around 130-170 calories.
Calories in the sauce
Marinara sauce is usually the most common sauce used on pizza, and it’s relatively low in calories. A tablespoon of marinara sauce contains just 10-15 calories. A small slice of cheese pizza comes with about 3-4 tablespoons of sauce, which is around 30-60 calories.
Calories in the cheese
Cheese is one of the main ingredients that give pizza its delicious and addictive taste. Mozzarella cheese is typically used on a pizza, and it can contribute to around 75-100 calories per slice. A small cheese pizza usually comes with 2-3 slices of cheese per slice, which can add up to 150-300 calories.
Calories in the toppings
The calorie count in a small cheese pizza can vary depending on the toppings used. Popular pizza toppings like pepperoni, sausage, bacon, and extra cheese can add up to hundreds of calories per slice. Vegetables like onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms are among the lower-calorie toppings. Keep in mind that more significant amounts of meat and cheese will increase the total number of calories in your pizza. Choose toppings wisely to help keep your calorie count in check.
Lower calorie alternatives to small cheese pizza
Thin Crust Pizza
Thin crust pizza is a great low calorie option as it has less dough than other crusts. This means less flour and carbohydrates, which usually reduce the amount of calories. A typical slice of thin crust cheese pizza has around 150-200 calories.
Veggie pizza is another alternative that is much lower in calories than your everyday cheese pizza. Vegetables, like bell peppers, tomato, onions or spinach, have a negligible amount of calories, and you can add them in without the fear of busting your calorie limit. Toppings like olives, mushrooms, and broccoli can also add a dash of flavor to your pizza while keeping the calorie count in check.
Cauliflower Crust Pizza
If you’re looking for an even healthier option, you could always try cauliflower crust pizza. Cauliflower has fewer calories than flour or dough, and it’s a great gluten-free option. A small cauliflower crust cheese pizza usually contains around 200-250 calories.
Now that you know the number of calories in a small cheese pizza, you can choose to indulge or make more conscious choices. Always keep in mind that different restaurants and homemade pizzas may have different calorie counts due to various factors like the size of the slices, sauce used, toppings, and crusts. It’s essential to pay attention to the nutrition information and calorie content of the food you consume to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Common Questions About the Calories in Small Cheese Pizza:
- What is a small cheese pizza?
- A small cheese pizza is typically about 10-12 inches in diameter with mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce on a thin or regular crust.
- How many calories are in a small cheese pizza?
- A small slice of cheese pizza weighing approximately 93 grams contains around 236 calories.
- What is the calorie count like on a thin crust pizza?
- A typical slice of thin crust cheese pizza has around 150-200 calories.
- Is cauliflower crust pizza a good low-calorie option?
- Yes, it has fewer calories than flour or dough, making it a great gluten-free option. A small cauliflower crust cheese pizza usually contains around 200-250 calories.
- What toppings add the most calories to a small cheese pizza?
- Meat toppings such as pepperoni, sausage, or bacon add the most calories.
- “Calories in Cheese Pizza.” Nutritionix, 2021, www.nutritionix.com/food/cheese-pizza.
- “Pizza with Cheese.” USDA FoodData Central, 2021, fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/171895/nutrients.
- “Pizza Toppings Ranked by How Unhealthy They Are.” Insider, 2020, www.insider.com/pizza-topping-ranked-by-how-unhealthy-they-are-2020-9.