Grilled chicken is a delicious and healthy meal that can be enjoyed all year round. Whether you grilled it yourself or purchased it from a restaurant, you may be wondering how long it can last in the fridge. In this article, we’ll delve into the topic and give you all the information you need to know about how long grilled chicken lasts in the fridge.
Why is it important to know how long grilled chicken lasts in the fridge?
Knowing how long grilled chicken lasts in the fridge is important for two main reasons:
- Food safety: Grilled chicken that is kept in the fridge for too long can spoil and cause foodborne illnesses. Eating spoiled food can cause symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and fever.
- Waste reduction: If you know how long grilled chicken lasts in the fridge, you can plan your meals accordingly and avoid throwing away food that has gone bad.
How long does grilled chicken last in the fridge?
The general rule of thumb is that cooked chicken can last in the fridge for up to four days. This includes grilled chicken. However, there are a few factors that can impact how long the chicken will stay fresh:
- The temperature of your fridge: If your fridge is too warm, the chicken will spoil more quickly. The ideal temperature for a fridge is between 34-40°F.
- How well the chicken was stored: If the chicken was stored properly in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in plastic, it will last longer in the fridge.
- The freshness of the chicken: If the chicken was already close to its expiration date when it was cooked, it won’t last as long in the fridge.
How can you tell if grilled chicken has gone bad?
There are a few telltale signs that your grilled chicken has gone bad:
- The chicken has a sour smell
- The chicken has a slimy texture
- The chicken is discolored or has a grey film over it
- The chicken has an unusual taste or texture
What’s the best way to store leftover grilled chicken?
The best way to store leftover grilled chicken is to place it in an airtight container or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. This will help prevent bacteria from forming on the surface of the chicken, which can cause it to spoil more quickly.
Can you freeze grilled chicken?
Yes, you can freeze grilled chicken. Freezing cooked chicken is a great way to extend its shelf life. However, if you plan on freezing grilled chicken, it’s important to do so within two hours of cooking it. This will help prevent bacteria from forming on the surface of the chicken. You can freeze grilled chicken for up to three months.
What’s the best way to reheat frozen grilled chicken?
The best way to reheat frozen grilled chicken is to thaw it in the fridge overnight and then reheat it in the oven or on the stovetop. Make sure the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165°F before consuming it.
Now that you know how long grilled chicken lasts in the fridge, you can plan your meals accordingly and avoid wasting food. Always make sure to store your leftover grilled chicken properly in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap. And remember to check for signs of spoilage before consuming any leftover chicken.
- Q: Can I eat grilled chicken that has been in the fridge for more than four days?
- A: It’s not recommended. Cooked chicken should be consumed within four days of being cooked. After that, the risk of foodborne illness increases.
- Q: Can I freeze grilled chicken that has been in the fridge for four days?
- A: It’s not recommended. If you plan on freezing grilled chicken, it’s best to do so within two hours of cooking it.
- Q: Can I reheat grilled chicken in the microwave?
- A: You can, but it’s not the best method. Microwaving chicken can cause it to dry out and become tough. It’s best to reheat grilled chicken in the oven or on the stovetop.