Polyester is a commonly used synthetic fabric that has gained immense popularity in the fashion industry over the years. It is known for its durability, low cost, and easy maintenance. However, one question that most people ask is how does polyester feel? In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about the texture, softness, and feel of polyester. So, let’s get started!
What is Polyester?
Polyester is a synthetic fabric that is made from synthetic fibers. This fabric is derived from coal, air, water, and petroleum. Polyester is popularly used in apparel and home décor due to its durability and ability to hold its shape well. It is a versatile and affordable fabric that is available in various designs and styles.
The Texture of Polyester
The texture of polyester depends on the type of weave and finish. The fabric can be soft, smooth, and silky or crisp and rigid. Polyester is often blended with other fabrics to create unique textures and styles. For example, when blended with cotton, polyester creates a soft and smooth fabric that is often used in t-shirts and sportswear.
Smooth and Silky
Smooth and silky polyester fabrics have a soft and fine texture. These fabrics are often used in lingerie, dresses, and blouses. They are lightweight and have a flowing drape. This texture is achieved by using a satin weave, which is a weaving technique that makes the fabric have a glossy, smooth finish.
Crisp and Rigid
Crisp and rigid polyester fabrics have a stiffer texture. These fabrics are often used in umbrellas and outdoor gear like jackets and tents. This texture is achieved by using a plain weave, which makes the fabric tight and durable.
The Softness of Polyester
The softness of a polyester fabric depends on the type of weave and finishing. Polyester fabric that has a higher thread count will generally be softer and more comfortable. Additionally, the softness can be enhanced by brushing the fabric surface, which creates a fluffier texture.
Fleece polyester is one of the softest and coziest polyester fabrics. It is made by brushing the surface of the fabric to create a fluffier texture. This fabric is often used in blankets, sweatshirts, and hoodies.
Microfiber polyester is a soft and silky fabric that feels like silk. It is created by weaving together super-fine threads that are thinner than a strand of human hair. Microfiber polyester is often used for beddings and luxury apparel.
The Feel of Polyester
The feel of polyester fabric varies based on the texture and softness of the fabric. Here are some common feel characteristics in polyester:
- Smooth: Polyester fabric that has a smooth and silky texture will feel silky to the touch.
- Fluffy: Polyester fabric that has a fluffy texture will feel cozily soft when touched.
- Crispy: Polyester fabric that has a crispy texture will feel rigid to the touch.
- Bouncy: Polyester fabric that has a bouncy texture will feel heavy and able to hold its shape when touched.
How to Make Polyester Feel Softer
Here are some tips on how you can make your polyester fabric feel softer:
- Wash the fabric with fabric softener
- Add vinegar to the rinse cycle
- Dry the fabric on low heat with a fabric softener sheet
- Iron the fabric with a low heat setting
How to Care for Polyester Fabric
Polyester fabric is easy to care for and maintain. Here are some tips on how to care for your polyester fabric:
- Machine wash on a gentle cycle with cold water
- Avoid bleach or fabric softeners
- Tumble dry on low heat or hang dry
- Iron on a low heat setting if necessary
Polyester fabric is a popular choice in apparel and home décor due to its durability, affordability, and ease of maintenance. Its texture, softness, and feel depend on the type of weave and finishing. Polyester can feel smooth and silky, crispy and rigid or fluffy and bouncy. Knowing how to care for your polyester fabric can help ensure that it lasts for an extended period without deteriorating in quality.
- Q: Is polyester fabric scratchy?
- A: This depends on the texture and finish of the fabric. Polyester fabrics that have a smooth texture will generally not be scratchy, while those with a crisper texture will be more rigid.
- Q: Can I make polyester fabric softer?
- A: Yes, you can make polyester fabric softer by washing it with fabric softener or vinegar, using a low heat setting on the dryer, and ironing it on a low heat setting.
- Q: Can polyester fabric shrink?
- A: Polyester fabric has a low shrinkage rate compared to other fabrics. However, it is essential to read the care label and follow the recommended washing guidelines to prevent shrinkage.
- Q: Is polyester fabric breathable?
- A: Polyester fabric is not as breathable as natural fabrics like cotton and wool. However, polyester fabrics can be engineered to have breathable properties by adding specialized fibers and finishes that improve moisture management and air permeability.
- Q: Is polyester fabric waterproof?
- A: Polyester fabric is not waterproof, but it can be treated with special finishes that make it water-resistant.
1. Zhejiang University. “THE STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS OF POLYESTER FABRIC DURING FINISHING.” Proceedings of the 12th World Congress on Computational Mechanics. 2016.
2. Teknikens Hus. “All About Polyester.” Teknikens Hus Engineering Center. 2019.
3. University of California. “Textile Quality Control.” University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources. 2020.