Lasik surgery is a popular vision correction procedure that has helped millions of people to see clearly without the need for glasses or contacts. It involves using a laser to reshape the cornea and improve vision, and is considered to be a safe and effective procedure. However, many people wonder whether their health insurance will cover the cost of Lasik surgery. Read on to find out the lowdown on Lasik surgery and insurance coverage.
What is Lasik Surgery?
Lasik (Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis) is a type of vision correction surgery that uses a laser to reshape the cornea, which is the clear, outer layer of the eye. This reshaping helps to correct common vision problems such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. Lasik surgery is usually a quick and painless procedure that is performed by an eye surgeon.
How Does Lasik Surgery Work?
During Lasik surgery, the surgeon creates a flap in the cornea using a microkeratome or femtosecond laser. They then use a second laser to remove some of the corneal tissue, which reshapes the cornea to improve vision. The surgeon then puts the flap back in place, where it will heal naturally. The procedure usually takes less than 30 minutes and most people experience immediate improvement in their vision.
Is Lasik Surgery Safe?
Laser vision correction surgery such as Lasik is considered to be a safe and effective procedure for most people. However, as with any surgery, there are risks and potential complications. Some people may experience dry eyes, glare, halos, or sensitivity to light after the procedure. In rare cases, patients may develop an infection or experience vision loss.
Does Insurance Cover Lasik Surgery?
The answer to this question depends on your specific insurance policy. While some health insurance policies do cover Lasik surgery, many do not. In general, insurance companies consider Lasik surgery to be an elective, cosmetic procedure, rather than a medical necessity. However, some policies may cover Lasik surgery if it is deemed medically necessary.
What Are Some Options for Paying for Lasik Surgery?
If your health insurance policy does not cover Lasik surgery, there are several other options for paying for the procedure:
- Credit Cards or Personal Loans: Many people choose to use a credit card or take out a personal loan to pay for Lasik surgery. However, it is important to consider the interest rates and fees associated with this option.
- Financing Options: Some Lasik surgery providers offer financing options that allow patients to pay for the procedure over time.
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) and Health Savings Accounts (HSAs): These accounts allow you to set aside pre-tax funds to pay for medical expenses, including Lasik surgery.
How Much Does Lasik Surgery Cost?
The cost of Lasik surgery can vary depending on a number of factors, such as the severity of your vision problems, the technology used, and where you live. On average, Lasik surgery costs between $2,000-$4,000 per eye.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Lasik Surgery?
Not everyone is a good candidate for Lasik surgery. Factors that may disqualify you from the procedure include:
- Age under 18 years old
- Pregnancy or nursing
- Eye diseases or conditions, such as cataracts, glaucoma, or diabetic retinopathy
- Autoimmune disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis
- History of eye infections or injuries
- Certain medications, such as Accutane or steroids
How Do I Find a Qualified Lasik Surgeon?
Finding a qualified Lasik surgeon is important to ensure that you receive safe and effective treatment. Some tips for finding a qualified surgeon include:
- Check the surgeon’s credentials and ask about their experience performing Lasik surgery.
- Ask for referrals from your primary care physician or eye doctor.
- Read online reviews and testimonials from other patients.
- Ask about the technology used for the procedure.
- Ask about the surgeon’s pre- and post-operative care process.
While insurance coverage for Lasik surgery is not guaranteed, there are several options available for paying for the procedure. If you are interested in Lasik surgery, it is important to consider your options carefully and do your research to find a qualified surgeon. With the right surgeon and financing options, Lasik surgery can be a safe and effective way to improve your vision and reduce or eliminate the need for glasses or contacts.
Common Questions and Answers
- Does insurance cover Lasik surgery? Insurance coverage for Lasik surgery varies depending on your specific policy. While some policies may cover the procedure, many do not consider it to be medically necessary.
- How much does Lasik surgery cost? The cost of Lasik surgery can vary depending on several factors, but on average it costs between $2,000-$4,000 per eye.
- Is Lasik surgery safe? Lasik surgery is generally considered to be a safe and effective procedure, but there are potential risks and complications. It is important to discuss these with your surgeon before deciding to have the procedure.
- Who is a good candidate for Lasik surgery? Not everyone is a good candidate for Lasik surgery. Factors that may disqualify you from the procedure include certain medical conditions and medications.
- How do I find a qualified Lasik surgeon? It is important to do your research and find a qualified surgeon with experience performing Lasik surgery. Ask for referrals and do your own research on the surgeon’s credentials and experience.
- Mayo Clinic. Lasik Eye Surgery. Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/lasik-eye-surgery/about/pac-20384774
- Prevent Blindness. Lasik Surgery. Retrieved from https://www.preventblindness.org/lasik-surgery
- All About Vision. How Much Does Lasik Surgery Cost? Retrieved from https://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/cost.htm