Demi-permanent hair color is a popular choice for people who want a temporary hair color change that lasts longer than semi-permanent hair dye. If you are considering a demi-permanent hair color, one of your main questions would be, “Does demi permanent fade completely?” The answer is not straightforward, so let’s explore the truth behind demi-permanent hair color and how it fades.
What is demi-permanent hair color?
Demi-permanent hair dye is a type of hair color that uses a combination of oxidative dyes and direct dyes to produce a color that lasts longer than semi-permanent hair dyes but isn’t as permanent as permanent hair dye. It also doesn’t require a developer or ammonia, making it less damaging to your hair than permanent hair dye. Demi-permanent hair dye typically lasts between 12 and 24 washes, depending on your hair type and the shade you choose.
How does demi-permanent hair color fade?
As with any hair dye, demi-permanent hair color fades over time. However, the way it fades can vary depending on a few factors, including:
- Your hair type and texture
- The color of your hair before dyeing it
- The shade of demi-permanent hair dye you choose
- How often you wash your hair
- Whether you use heat styling tools
When demi-permanent hair dye fades, it tends to do so gradually rather than all at once. The color will appear to fade as the pigments gradually break down and wash away. However, some of the underlying color may still be present in your hair, especially if your hair was very light before dyeing it.
Can demi-permanent hair color fade completely?
While demi-permanent hair dye is designed to fade over time, it’s unlikely that it will fade completely. Because demi-permanent hair dye uses a combination of oxidative and direct dyes, it can leave behind some residual color even after it has faded. However, this residual color will be less intense than the original color and may not be noticeable to the naked eye.
How to make demi-permanent hair color fade faster?
If you want to speed up the fading process of demi-permanent hair color, you can use a clarifying shampoo or a hair dye remover. This will help strip some of the color from your hair without damaging it. However, it’s important to note that these methods can also dry out your hair, so be sure to use a conditioning treatment afterward.
How to prevent demi-permanent hair color from fading?
If you want to extend the life of your demi-permanent hair color, there are a few things you can do:
- Avoid shampooing your hair too often, as this can strip the color from your strands.
- Use a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner, as sulfates can be harsh on your hair and cause color to fade faster.
- Avoid exposing your hair to direct sunlight, as this can cause the color to fade faster.
- Avoid using heat styling tools, as the heat can also cause color to fade faster.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions when dyeing your hair, and leave the dye on for the recommended amount of time.
So, does demi-permanent hair color fade completely? The answer is no, but it will fade gradually over time. The best way to extend the life of your demi-permanent hair color is to take good care of your hair and avoid exposing it to harsh chemicals and heat. If you want to remove the color, you can use a clarifying shampoo or a hair dye remover, but be sure to follow up with a conditioning treatment to keep your hair healthy.
Here are some of the most common questions people have about demi-permanent hair color:
Q: How long does demi-permanent hair color last?
A: Demi-permanent hair color typically lasts between 12 and 24 washes.
Q: Is demi-permanent hair color damaging to hair?
A: Demi-permanent hair color is less damaging to hair than permanent hair dye, as it doesn’t require a developer or ammonia.
Q: Can I bleach my hair after using demi-permanent hair color?
A: It is possible to bleach your hair after using demi-permanent hair color, but it’s best to wait a few weeks after dyeing your hair to avoid damaging it.
Q: How often should I wash my hair if I have demi-permanent hair color?
A: Try to wash your hair no more than once or twice a week if you have demi-permanent hair color, as frequent washing can cause the color to fade faster.
Q: Can I use a hair mask on my hair if I have demi-permanent hair color?
A: Yes, you can use a hair mask on your hair if you have demi-permanent hair color. In fact, using a hair mask can help keep your hair healthy and prevent color from fading too quickly.
Q: How do I know if demi-permanent hair color is right for me?
A: Talk to your stylist to determine whether demi-permanent hair color is a good choice for your hair type and color goals. They can also help you choose the right shade and provide tips for maintaining the color.
1. Short, R. (2019, August 16). Demi-Permanent Hair Dye: Everything You Need to Know. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/demi-permanent-hair-dye.
2. Aral, M. (2021, February 27). How Does Demi-Permanent Hair Color Work? Retrieved from https://www.byrdie.com/demi-permanent-hair-dye-5075740.
3. Demi-Permanent Hair Dyes. (2021, May 27). Retrieved from https://www.olaplex.com/blogs/news/demi-permanent-hair-dye-.