Sonic Drive-In is a popular fast-food chain in the United States that is known for its classic American delicacies. Young people who are looking to make a few bucks often wonder if Sonic has any job opportunities for them. This is because most companies prefer to hire candidates who are at least 16 years old. However, there are some exceptions to this rule. So if you are a young student who is wondering if you can work at Sonic at the age of 15, then you have come to the right place. This article will answer all your questions and provide you with a list of common queries that you might have on this topic.
What is Sonic Drive-In?
Sonic Drive-In is a chain of fast-food restaurants in America. It is well-known for its drive-thru service, carhops on roller skates, and vintage diner-style food. Sonic serves a variety of dishes including burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, chicken strips, and sides such as onion rings and tater tots. The restaurant chain is headquartered in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and operates more than 3,500 locations across 46 states in the U.S.
Can You Work at Sonic at 15?
Yes, you can work at Sonic at the age of 15, but there are certain conditions that you need to meet first. According to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the minimum age to work in non-agricultural jobs is 14 years old. However, employers are permitted to pay 14 and 15-year olds a lower minimum wage than other employees if they have a work permit. In the case of Sonic, the minimum age requirement for most entry-level positions is 16. But, there is an exception for some jobs, such as carhops or fountain staff, who may hire 15-year olds with a work permit or parental consent.
What is a Work Permit?
A work permit or employment certificate is a legal document that certifies a minor’s ability to work. It is issued by the school where the minor is enrolled in, and typically requires the minor to maintain a certain grade point average or complete a certain number of hours of coursework. The certificate also specifies the type of work the minor can do and any restrictions on working hours. In most cases, the minor will need to obtain a new work permit each year and will be prohibited from working more than a certain number of hours per day or per week.
What are the Requirements to Work at Sonic?
If you are interested in working at Sonic, there are a few requirements that you need to meet. Just like any other employer, Sonic has certain hiring criteria that they look for when making hiring decisions. Here are some of the requirements:
- You must be at least 15 years old to work at Sonic, unless you have a work permit.
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED.
- Must be able to lift up to 50lbs.
- You must be able to pass a background check.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- You may be required to work on weekends and holidays.
What are the Entry-Level Positions Available at Sonic?
Sonic has a variety of entry-level positions available for young candidates. These positions include:
- Carhop: A carhop takes orders and delivers food to customers in their cars. They often wear roller skates and must be able to move quickly and efficiently between the kitchen and cars.
- Fountain Staff: A fountain staff employee prepares milkshakes, malts, and other frozen drinks. They also maintain and clean the soda fountain area of the restaurant.
- Cook: A cook prepares food orders in the kitchen. They also clean and maintain the kitchen area during their shift.
- Server: A server takes orders and delivers food to customers in the dining area. They are responsible for ensuring that customers have a positive experience at Sonic.
How Much Do Sonic Employees Make?
According to Glassdoor.com, the average hourly pay for a Sonic carhop is $4-$10 per hour, depending on the location and experience. Fountain staff employees make roughly about $10 per hour, while cooks and servers make an average of $7-$10 per hour. Keep in mind that pay can vary by location, experience, and job position.
Benefits of Working at Sonic
There are many benefits to working at Sonic, especially if you are a young candidate looking for your first job. Here are some of the benefits:
- Flexible Schedules: Sonic offers flexible schedules that can accommodate school, athletics, and other extracurricular activities.
- Employee Discounts: Sonic offers employee discounts on food and drinks.
- Career Advancement: If you work hard and demonstrate a strong work ethic, you can advance your career at Sonic by applying for management positions.
- Training: Sonic provides its employees with training and development opportunities that can help them to build essential job skills.
Working at Sonic can be a great opportunity for young candidates who are looking for their first job. Although Sonic prefers to hire candidates who are at least 16 years old, there are still some positions available for 15-year olds with the proper permits and parental consent. Aspiring candidates must meet certain requirements, such as the ability to lift up to 50lbs and pass a background check. The pay rate varies depending on the location and job position, and the benefits of working at Sonic include employee discounts, flexible schedules, and career advancement opportunities.
Here are some common questions regarding working at Sonic:
|What is the minimum age to work at Sonic?||The minimum age to work at Sonic is 15 years old with a work permit or parental consent.|
|What is a work permit?||A work permit is a legal document that certifies a minor’s ability to work.|
|What entry-level positions are available at Sonic?||Entry-level positions at Sonic include carhops, fountain staff, cooks, and servers.|
|How much do Sonic employees make?||The average hourly pay for a Sonic carhop is $4-$10 per hour.|
|What are the benefits of working at Sonic?||The benefits of working at Sonic include employee discounts, flexible schedules, and career advancement opportunities.|
Sonic Drive-In. (n.d.). About Us. Retrieved September 16, 2021, from https://www.sonicdrivein.com/about
Fair Labor Standards Act. (n.d.). Wage and Hour Division (WHD). Retrieved September 16, 2021, from https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/flsa
Glassdoor. (n.d.). Sonic Carhop Hourly Pay. Retrieved September 16, 2021, from https://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/Sonic-Carhop-Hourly-Pay-E8220_D_KO6,13.htm