Cold brew has become a popular way to enjoy coffee, especially during hot weather. It’s smooth, low-acid, and packed with caffeine. But what if you’re in a rush and don’t have time to cold brew coffee overnight? Can you make cold brew with instant coffee? The short answer is yes, you can make cold brew with instant coffee. But how good will it taste? Let’s find out.
What Is Cold Brew Coffee?
Cold brew coffee is coffee that is brewed with cold water over a long period of time, usually overnight. The coarse coffee grounds are steeped in cold water for 12-24 hours, which results in a smooth, low-acid coffee concentrate. The concentrate can be diluted with water or milk to make iced coffee or hot coffee.
Can You Make Cold Brew with Instant Coffee?
Yes, you can make cold brew with instant coffee. It’s a quick and easy way to make cold coffee, especially if you’re in a rush. However, the quality and taste of the cold brew will depend on the type and brand of instant coffee you use.
How to Make Cold Brew with Instant Coffee
Making cold brew with instant coffee is easy. You’ll need:
- 1 cup of cold water
- 2 tablespoons of instant coffee
- A jar or pitcher
Here’s how to make it:
- Fill the jar or pitcher with 1 cup of cold water.
- Add 2 tablespoons of instant coffee to the water.
- Stir until the coffee granules dissolve.
- Cover the jar with a lid and let it sit for 12-24 hours in the fridge.
- After brewing, strain the coffee concentrate through a coffee filter or cheesecloth.
- Dilute the coffee concentrate with water or milk to taste.
- Add ice cubes and enjoy!
What Types of Instant Coffee Work Best for Cold Brew?
When it comes to making cold brew with instant coffee, not all coffee brands and types are created equal. Here are some tips to help you choose the right type of instant coffee:
Choose instant coffee that is 100% coffee and doesn’t contain any additives like sugar, creamer or flavorings. Pure coffee crystals will dissolve better and produce a better taste.
Dark roast instant coffee tends to have a bolder flavor and deeper color, making it a good choice for cold brew. Light and medium roasts can work too, but they may be weaker in flavor.
Stick to quality brands of instant coffee, such as Starbucks, Mount Hagen, or Medaglia D’Oro. These brands have a good reputation for producing high-quality coffee crystals that dissolve well, taste great, and retain their flavor.
The Pros and Cons of Making Cold Brew with Instant Coffee
- Convenient and quick
- Easy to make
- Requires fewer tools and equipment
- Cheaper than buying cold brew from a café
- The taste and quality may not be as good as regular cold brew or brewed coffee
- The coffee can be weak or watery if not brewed properly
- Sometimes instant coffee leaves a slightly artificial taste
While it may not be the perfect substitute for traditional cold brew, making cold brew with instant coffee is a quick and easy way to enjoy cold coffee. With the right type of instant coffee, you can make a refreshing and satisfying cold brew drink in minutes. It’s worth giving it a try!
Q: Can you make cold brew with ground coffee?
A: Yes, you can make cold brew with ground coffee. The process is the same as making cold brew with whole beans, and the result is a smooth and low-acid coffee concentrate that can be diluted to taste.
Q: Does cold brew have more caffeine than hot coffee?
A: Yes, cold brew can have up to twice as much caffeine as hot coffee. Because the coffee grounds are steeped in cold water for a long period of time, more caffeine is extracted from the grounds. However, the exact amount of caffeine depends on the coffee beans and the brewing method.
Q: How long can you keep cold brew in the fridge?
A: Cold brew can be kept in the fridge for up to two weeks if stored in an airtight container. It’s best to make a large batch and store it for later use.
Q: Can you heat up cold brew?
A: Yes, you can heat up cold brew in the microwave or on the stove. However, heating up cold brew can change the taste and quality of the coffee, so it’s best to enjoy it cold or iced.
1. Cold Brew Coffee. Wikipedia. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_brew_coffee
2. How to Make Cold Brew Coffee with Instant Coffee. I Need Coffee. Retrieved from https://ineedcoffee.com/how-to-make-cold-brew-coffee-with-instant-coffee/
3. Cold Brew Instant Coffee Is Your Summer Caffeine Fix. Eater. Retrieved from https://www.eater.com/2018/6/11/17449816/cold-brew-instant-coffee-best