Keeping the laundry clean and smelling fresh is always a priority for everyone. With the emergence of various laundry products, it has created confusion on whether it is safe to mix different laundry products in one dispenser or not. One of the commonly asked questions is, “Can I put Lysol Laundry Sanitizer in the bleach dispenser?” Let’s dive deeper into this topic and find out what experts have to say about it.
What is Lysol Laundry Sanitizer?
Lysol Laundry Sanitizer is a laundry product designed to kill 99.9% of bacteria that detergent leaves behind. It also claims to eliminate 99.9% of the odor-causing bacteria commonly found in clothes. This product is designed to be used as an additive for your regular laundry routine.
What is Bleach Dispenser?
A bleach dispenser is a compartment in your washing machine where you add bleach or any bleach-based products. This is an automated way of adding bleach to your wash, ensuring that it gets evenly distributed throughout the wash cycle.
Can You Put Lysol Laundry Sanitizer in the Bleach Dispenser?
According to Lysol, it is safe to use their laundry sanitizer in the bleach dispenser. This is because Lysol Laundry Sanitizer is a bleach-based product, just like most liquid laundry detergents. However, there are some things to consider before doing so.
Consideration #1: Type of Washing Machine
The type of washing machine you have is an important factor to consider. If you have a standard top-load washing machine with a bleach dispenser, it is safe to use Lysol Laundry Sanitizer in it. However, if you have a front-load washing machine, using it in the bleach dispenser is not recommended. This is because front-load washing machines use a specific compartment for bleach, and adding Lysol Laundry Sanitizer to this compartment can damage your machine.
Consideration #2: Amount of Lysol Laundry Sanitizer to Use
Another factor to consider is the amount of Lysol Laundry Sanitizer to use. Follow the instructions on the label of the product on how much to add. Using too much of it can damage your clothes, and using too little will not effectively sanitize your laundry.
Consideration #3: Types of Clothes to Sanitize
Not all clothes require sanitization. Only use Lysol Laundry Sanitizer on clothes that require sanitization and have been exposed to bacteria. Clothes such as underwear, towels, and bedding are examples of clothes that require sanitization.
Alternatives to Using Lysol Laundry Sanitizer in Bleach Dispenser
If you are still hesitant to use Lysol Laundry Sanitizer in your bleach dispenser, there are alternative ways to sanitize your laundry. Here are some options:
- Use hot water. Hot water can effectively kill bacteria that causes odor in clothes.
- Use vinegar. Adding a cup of distilled white vinegar to your rinse cycle can help to disinfect clothes, get rid of odors, and eliminate stains.
- Use hydrogen peroxide. Adding a cup of hydrogen peroxide to your wash cycle can aid in eliminating bacteria and fungus from your clothes.
- Use baking soda. Adding a cup of baking soda to your wash cycle can help in getting rid of odors and brighten clothes.
In conclusion, it is safe to use Lysol Laundry Sanitizer in the bleach dispenser of your standard top-load washing machine. Be sure to follow the recommended amount of Lysol Laundry Sanitizer to use, sanitize only clothes that require it, and consider using alternatives if you are hesitant to use Lysol Laundry Sanitizer.
- “Lysol Laundry Sanitizer FAQs.” Lysol, 2021, https://www.lysol.com/laundry/sanitizer-faqs/
- “How to Clean a Front-Loading Washing Machine.” Whirlpool, 2021, https://www.whirlpool.com/blog/washers-and-dryers/how-to-clean-a-front-loading-washing-machine.html
- Q: Can Lysol Laundry Sanitizer be used with bleach?
- A: Yes, Lysol Laundry Sanitizer is a bleach-based product and can be used with bleach. However, it is not recommended to mix bleach with other laundry products.
- Q: Can you use Lysol Laundry Sanitizer with fabric softener?
- A: No, Lysol Laundry Sanitizer should not be used with fabric softener. Fabric softener can interfere with the antimicrobial power of the product.
- Q: Will Lysol Laundry Sanitizer bleach clothes?
- A: Lysol Laundry Sanitizer is color-safe and will not bleach clothes. However, using too much of it can damage your clothes.