When it comes to healthy snacking, a lot of people opt for protein or energy bars since they’re convenient, portable, and satisfying. One such option is Gomacro bars, which are available in various flavors and are marketed as organic, vegan, and gluten-free. However, with so many bars out there, it can be hard to distinguish which ones are actually healthy and which ones are just labeled that way. So, are Gomacro bars really healthy? Let’s find out.
Nutritional Profile of Gomacro Bars
The first thing to consider when assessing the healthfulness of Gomacro bars is their nutritional content. According to the company’s website, their bars are made with whole-food ingredients and are free from artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, and sweeteners. Let’s take a closer look at the macronutrient breakdown of one of their most popular flavors, peanut butter chocolate chip.
|Nutrient||Amount per serving (60g)|
As you can see, Gomacro bars are relatively high in carbohydrates and sugars, which are mostly derived from dates, brown rice syrup, and other natural sweeteners. However, they also provide fiber, healthy fats, and a decent amount of protein, which can help keep you full and satisfied. Therefore, if you’re looking for a snack that provides energy and sustenance, Gomacro bars can be a good option.
Ingredients and Sourcing
Another factor to consider when evaluating the healthfulness of Gomacro bars is their ingredient quality and sourcing. The company claims that their bars are made with certified organic, non-GMO, and fair trade ingredients, which means they’re free from harmful chemicals, synthetic additives, and exploitation of workers. Some of the main ingredients found in Gomacro bars are:
- Nuts and seeds: almonds, cashews, peanuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds
- Fruit and vegetables: dates, cherries, blueberries, apples, carrots, spinach
- Grains and legumes: brown rice, quinoa, oats, lentils, peanuts
- Sweeteners: brown rice syrup, maple syrup, coconut sugar, agave nectar
While these are all nutritious foods, it’s important to note that Gomacro bars may contain allergens such as soy or tree nuts, depending on the flavor, and some ingredients may be sourced from other countries, which can affect their quality and sustainability. However, overall, Gomacro seems to prioritize transparency and responsible sourcing practices, which is a plus for health-conscious consumers.
Pros and Cons of Gomacro Bars
- Organic and non-GMO
- Vegan and gluten-free
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- Provides fiber, healthy fats, and protein
- Convenient and portable
- Comes in various flavors and textures
- Relatively high in carbohydrates and sugars
- May contain allergens such as soy or tree nuts
- Can be expensive compared to other snacks
- May not be suitable for low-carb or ketogenic diets
- May not be as filling or satisfying as whole foods
How to Incorporate Gomacro Bars in Your Diet
If you’re interested in trying Gomacro bars, here are some tips on how to make the most of them:
- Use them as a pre- or post-workout snack
- Pair them with fresh fruit or vegetables for a more balanced snack
- Choose flavors that match your taste preferences and nutritional needs
- Watch your portion sizes and don’t rely on them as your main source of nutrition
- Store them in a cool and dry place to maintain their freshness
So, are Gomacro bars healthy? The answer is that it depends on your individual goals, preferences, and dietary restrictions. While they may not be the perfect snack for everyone, Gomacro bars offer a decent nutritional profile, clean ingredients, and convenient snacking options that can help you stay fueled and satisfied on the go. Just be sure to choose flavors that fit your needs, watch your portions, and enjoy them as part of a balanced diet.
Q: Are Gomacro bars good for weight loss?
A: While Gomacro bars can be a convenient and satisfying snack option, they may not be the best choice for weight loss due to their relatively high carbohydrate and calorie content. However, if you use them as a replacement for less healthy snacks or include them as part of a balanced meal plan, they can contribute to a healthy weight.
Q: Are Gomacro bars suitable for people with diabetes?
A: Gomacro bars contain natural sweeteners such as dates and brown rice syrup, which can raise blood sugar levels. Therefore, if you have diabetes or insulin resistance, you may want to monitor your intake of Gomacro bars and choose flavors with lower sugar content or pair them with protein and fiber to slow down the absorption of glucose.
Q: Are Gomacro bars safe for people with food allergies?
A: Gomacro bars may contain allergens such as soy, tree nuts, and peanuts, depending on the flavor. Therefore, if you have a food allergy or intolerance, it’s important to read the label carefully and avoid flavors that contain the specific allergen you’re allergic to. You can also consult a healthcare professional or a registered dietitian to determine if Gomacro bars are safe for you to consume.
Q: How many Gomacro bars can you eat in a day?
A: The recommended serving size for Gomacro bars is one bar per day, although this may vary depending on your weight, activity level, and overall diet. It’s important to also consider the nutrient content of the bar and use it as a complement to other whole foods rather than a replacement for them.
Q: Where can you buy Gomacro bars?
A: Gomacro bars are available on their official website, as well as in various online and offline retailers such as Amazon, Whole Foods, and natural food stores. You can check their store locator on their website to find the nearest vendor to you. However, availability may vary depending on your location and the demand for the products.
Q: How do Gomacro bars compare to other energy bars?
A: Compared to other popular energy or protein bars such as Clif Bars or RX Bars, Gomacro bars stand out for their organic and non-GMO ingredients, as well as their vegan and gluten-free options. However, they may have a higher carbohydrate and sugar content than some other bars, and they can be more expensive as well. Therefore, it’s important to choose a bar that fits your nutritional needs and budget.
- Gomacro. (n.d.). FAQ. Retrieved from https://gomacro.com/pages/faqs#what-nutrition-information-is-available-for-your-products
- Gutierrez, A. (2021, June 2). Are Gomacro Bars Healthy? A Deep Dive. Retrieved from https://noshable.lovewithfood.com/2021/06/02/food-101/are-gomacro-bars-healthy-a-deep-dive/
- Satiety effects of protein bars consumed as snacks between meals. (2019). European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 73(2), 305-311. doi: 10.1038/s41430-019-0434-0